VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First, I'd like to say that I really find this forum very informative about TDI's. I just bought my very first Jetta ('06 TDI). I really enjoy driving the car, feels like driving an Audi:D .

After reading through the site, I realize that the "rattling" sound I hear beneath the engine is the DMF.
I have already called some dealers in the area to see how much it would cost, most of them questioned my "sanity" about insisting that my car has a DMF :annoyed. But two dealers finally gave me a quote:

First dealer asked for my car's VIN# and gave me a quote of $795 for the DMF (Special order)
Second dealer just asked for the year & model and said that it's $ 745 (Special order)

Which one should I believe has the right part to buy it from?

My other question is I found a mechanic who specialize on German cars, he said that he will replace it for me for about $400? Is that reasonable for this job?

Now this might sound stupid but here it goes, when the mechanic changes the DMF will he be replacing the DSG fluid (is that the same as the transmission fluid?)?

What else should I have done since he's going to work on the tranny anyway?

I would gladly received any help or tips. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Are you sure it's the DSG's DMF? How many miles? Rough shifting or clunking?

Probably both are but are charging different prices. The price sounds about right for a dealer. Here is where you can buy it cheaper: http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_28_137_170&products_id=287 Make sure to get replacement bolts as well.

$400+parts is very reasonable. It's possible to change it by sliding the transmission out a little and an axle or by just removing the transmission which should be easy for a professional mechanic.

When the mechanic changes the DMF he may lose a little bit which needs to be topped off. If he doesn't change the fluid, ask him to do a fluid drain-refill and filter change since it's not much work. You can even supply the parts to make sure he uses good stuff. Every 40k miles it should be changed as well so unless it's fresh you might as well change it.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chitty...

The car has 108K miles already. I hear the rattling sound whenever I put the car on drive & neutral. The sound is very similar to those that you see on YouTube and they do say that's its the DMF problem.

I only feel the "rough" shifting when it goes from 1st to 2nd gear.

I did follow some of the tips that was in the DSG write up and the rattling sound has gone down a bit, it's not as loud anymore.

I will follow your advice on the fluid and the parts.

Thanks again for this forum. I really do appreciate it A LOT!!! :lock:

Jay

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I am posting an update since my last post about my DMF issues.

I had the DMF replaced and DSG fluid serviced. So far the car has dramatically run a lot smoother and quieter. No more of the rough shifting on the lower gears, and I noticed that it easily and quickly shifts to the highest gear right away.

I also went ahead and change the timing belt, water pump and did the oil change too.

Right now I am very happy with this car and been consistently averaging 46 MPG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts