VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI (BEW eingine), in the process of replacing the timing belt. The directions that I printed off says to torque the 4 6mm hex bolts to 7ft/lbs + 1/4 turn. Is this correct torque for these bolts? It seems to be not enough cause they were pretty tough to loosen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Do you mean the harmonic balancer pulley bolts?

That is correct. The 1/4 turn is quite a lot and you'll find that that's where all the clamping occurs. FYI, the original triple square bolts are less prone to stripping. The VW allen head bolts are too soft and the heads tend to deform a little. There are aftermarket bolts available with some TB kit but beware, they may be too long if your car came with short bolts instead of the long bolts. Not sure what the overall torque is after the 1/4 turn but in past cars it's been around 18ft-lb.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I was following a checklist that had 18 Ft*Lbs for the harmonic balancer bolts... (the 16mm-long ones... 2003 Jetta Wagon)... I did put a bit of blue LocTite on them... is this not sufficient??? (I think that's what I've done in the past, but it's been 8-1/2 months since my last timing belt...)

Yuri

1 - 4 of 4 Posts