VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2004 diesel TDI Wagon. I have read info on this site and asked the owner some questions. He says no prob with pump, has not changed timing belt, or most of what has been listed. He has maintained with oilchanges and had the brakes done recently. Says there have been no problems. They have had it for 2 years, and now are choosing to drive a minivan instead..That puzzles me considering I am mom of 3 going from minivan to fuel economy. Should I be hesitant? How should I proceed??

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
What are you concerned about?

2004 Jetta wagon is a good car. Manual or automatic? The autos were much better on the 2004 and newer cars. Coming from a minivan, you can comfortably seat 4 people in the car but 5 adults (driver included) is going to be tight in the rear seats.

TB is service that you should have done immediately. Make sure the car starts easily and has plenty of torque. It sounds like in your case it may be best to get a car that runs well instead of trying fixing a basketcase that you bought cheap.

Make sure it idles well without bupping. If the camshaft is worn that's another repair that has to be done when the timing belt is done. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm Here are some videos of bad camshafts with a description of the problem. If you're not familiar with TDI it may be hard to tell the difference between diesel idling and bupping. The 2004 aren't as susceptible to this problem but they can still have it. 5w-40 oil is best of these engines because 5w-30 is a bit too thin.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ask him if he used 505.01 engine oil. That's the spec the pumpe duse engines should use. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for info...He is asking $10,950.00(cdn) for the car w 170000km's. First he said there were no problems with the timing belt, said it had been regularly maintained. I called the dealership with VIN and was told of the glowplug and intake pump replaced no other work done with them. Then he informed me that his book showed that the belt was due to be changed at 165000. I asked VW what it was going to cost me to have the job done, and was surprised at a figure of another $1000.00 dollars. I'm just wondering if I'm the one being cheap or if his price is appropriate. VW did confirm that the new glowplug recall would be issued around the end of Nov..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, and, it is Manual......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts