VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, brand new here.

I just bought an '03 Jetta GLS TDI yesterday. Looks like the previous owner hit some nasty road kill or something, and lost the big 'splash plate' that keeps puddles out of the AC compressor, etc. I'm in Colorado, so I'll probably be in snow deep enough that it'll start to get up in the engine compartment. How important is that splash plate? It looks like whatever he hit also busted up the plastic bumper piece a little bit. I'm not too worried about that, but it looks like the way the bumper body piece attaches is integrated with the splash plate a little bit. As a newb to TDIs, and a long-missing VW owner (68 bug, 75 Rabbit...), I'd be interested to learn what sort of things to watch out for in the TDI. I seem to get hammered pretty hard by potholes and road irregularities-- what are the top suspension and tire upgrades to look at?

Thanks,

Lee in Denver

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi there,welcometomyturbodies. I reckon the cover for under the engine is a good idea and would have thought reasonably important myself for keeping all the water and muck out. Most of them seem to be missing on older cars including mine but I plan to get one really soon. I think mostly keeping on top of servicing would be a good start and using the proper vag oils and coolants too.:) There are some really knowledgeable and friendly people on here though who'll be able to give you more advice.

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

A Splashplate will keep a lot of s**t out of the engine compartment so I would consider fitting another one. We do have a thread on this is you care to read Passat splash shield and fastener list for VW Passat 1998-2005 obviously its a Passat but the procedure will be similar. ;)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I would advise putting a metal one on there. If you are missing the plastic one then you have already played with fire (hitting your oil pan). Dieselgeek.com has a nice one and there is another vender in Canada. Also VE OEM as well. Cost is more for OEM and it is steel over aluminum.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
...Looks like the previous owner hit some nasty road kill or something, and lost the big 'splash plate' that keeps puddles out of the AC compressor, etc.
If what the previous owner hit has ripped off the splash-plate, check oil pan and surrounding area for damage you would want to address sooner rather than later.

...I'm in Colorado, so I'll probably be in snow deep enough that it'll start to get up in the engine compartment. How important is that splash plate?
Consider one of the custom metal plates available for your Jetta. Snow will slide along the bottom of the skid plate.

...I seem to get hammered pretty hard by potholes and road irregularities...
All the more reason to upgrade your missing splash plate to a skid plate.
At $275 it is cheap protection for expensive parts.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=358

my two cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts