VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. Here's a little about me and why I'm here.

I'm a school teacher now approaching retirement age and have in the past twelve months have part-exchanged my achingly beautiful and scarily fast Alfa Romeo GTA for something a little more practical, a 2009 Skoda Octavia vRS with manual gearbox. The car has the common rail diesel engine and is completely standard, producing a maximum of 168 bhp at 4100 rpm and a maximum of 258 lb ft of torque. It's a large and perfectly competent car, based as it is upon the VW Golf Mk5 chassis and as a result its ride and handling are first class. If anything though I find it a bit dull to drive, particularly after the Alfa but there's a kit car in the garage for excitement.

My Skoda isn't the reason I'm here though. I arrived here after searching for info on behalf of my son. He has a 2003 SEAT Leon Cupra diesel with the 150 bhp ARL PD engine. About three days ago he broke down and the garage diagnosis was that the car was suffering from the well-documented worn out camshaft. Garage estimate for repair was about GBP1600. This is just too much money as he's about to change jobs and buy a house, so we're going to do it ourselves - it's only nuts and bolts. I'd no idea the problem existed, let alone that it was quite common.

Normally I wouldn't work on my daily driver, nor my son's, but as we can obtain the parts for around GBP 500 provided that I can use the rockers, or about GBP 750 if I cannot. I've never owned or worked on a diesel before so there's never been a better time to scan the forums and learn from others' mistakes! The car is due a cam belt about now anyway so this might be a good time for that and a water pump.

Hoping to save the rockers but not entirely sure what condition they have to be in before they become scrap - it's not the injector cam lobes that look to be the problem but more detailed examination will reveal all, I'm sure.

I don't know if the ARL engine exists in the USA - can somebody clarify please, just for interest's sake really.

I'd better shut up now...:eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

You don't say how many miles your son's 2003 Leon Cupra has done but I would recommend changing the timing belt and maybe the water pump at the same time, they are due at 80k or less?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the welcome chaps. Nice to see some folk from this side of the pond on here.

The Leon has now done 107k miles. Picked up most of the parts today, including a cam belt kit, aux belt and water pump. I'm hoping that it's had a belt change before now with a previous owner but there's no documentation to show it so better safe than sorry. Also have the tensioner and the small idler to go with the belt.

Was a bit disappointed to see that the water pump impeller was plastic - Don't know if there's a history of cracked impellers on these cars but there certainly is on the Alfa V6 engines...

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Yes there is a thread on water pump plastic impellers it all comes down to the manufacturrer. I would have thought they would be ok but if you search YouTube there are alot against them showing faults?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQesxTwbl8

Yes it appears you have to change the belt and tensioner on the Leon at every 60000 miles or 48 months. The 04 Leon is every 80000 miles or 48 months and timing belt tensioner every 160000 miles or 96 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts