VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just picked up a 2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDI and love it already. Actually, we got it for my wife because we were sharing my '98 BMW 540i and it was just too hard to work it with 2 kids and 2 jobs and a daily mountain commute.
Bought it on Friday in Wisconsin and drove it to Iowa on Saturday and home to Colorado yesterday. Although I won't be driving it all that much, I was able to do by far the majority of the driving from Wisconsin to Colorado and it is a wonderful car. Handles beautifully and looks sexy, especially with the 17" wheels :p
We've never had a diesel before and father in-law scared us with the bitter cold weather this weekend, stating that if it gets to 0 or below that it might not run (gelling diesel).... I did a little googling and found this forum, also felt much better after reading that it really isn't a problem with todays diesel and the heated fuel filter system in these modern TDI's.
Anyway, no problems or anything but just wanted to say hello and let you know I'll be educating myself about this awesome car thanks to this site. And if we do have any problems, I'll be asking you TDI experts for help. Check out the pics, with our kids posing with the new car before we left the dealership...
Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Congrats! FYI the fuel system is passively heated by heat off the engine and the recirculation of the fuel filter. It's not actively heated. If you're really concerned about fuel gelling, you can try some anti gel fuel additive. Most don't use it and they're fine.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not worried about gelling mostly because we don't usually get sub-zero temps here in Colorado. I'm really impressed with how well it handles and how tight the steering feels. It's almost as good of a driving car as my bmw :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dom't be afraid to rev the engine too. It's better for the engine and the turbo, especially in thin CO air. Otherwise the turbo can get into stall and wear it down. Old TDI had a problem with the shaft breaking when the turbo stalled. Is the car DSG? Someone here had a no start from cold temps in the DSG working against the engine compression in Colorado. It was supposedly settled with VW. Because diesels run off compression, poor compression = no start. Just throwing out some things to watch out for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts