VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am new here, and starting work on a '99 NB timing belt. I found the very nice writeup here, so I am taking advantage of that.

The Beetle is a hand me down from my wife that she bought new in '99. It has been a decent car except for the drop to idle stumble, manifold clogging, nicely oiled intercooler, and a crack in the AC condensor. Hard to beat the mileage for an old rig, still getting like 47 mpg at 70 mph on the highway. Last timing belt was done at dealer, but I am not particulary happy with them, so didn't want to give them my money again.

I tore into it with the Bently manual and now see some (more!) deficiencies in the Bently. They start off the timing belt with a list of a bunch of items and (lack of) directions like: X. Remove Serpentine belt and tensioner. Really, remove tensioner? - How? Needless to say, the directions here are way better.

I have aquired the requred tools, and can certainly share in the Mid-Valley of Oregon if anyone needs these.

Onward with tear-down tonight, then hopefully assembly Tuesday. But if the bad weather ends I may need to insert yard work instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well dang, I have 1 of the harmonic balancer bolts stripped. The Craftsman "bolt-out" won't get a bite on it and an internal ez-out is a no go also. Any good plan B/C?

I could remove the tire and use the impact wrench/bolt-out and see if that will make it bite, or I cut off the bolt with an abrasive disc?

For the idle stumble, I will will check that out when I Vag-Com the injection timing. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Is the bolt out sharp? Can you fit a vise lock grip plier on it?

Be careful cutting it off because you'll still have the shaft in there and you don't want to damage anything. The harmonic balancer pulley can be replaced, the crankshaft is a little harder :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts