VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i am back. Guess i need to be more active. lost my status here.
time for the timing belt job on my 2004 passat pd.
guess it is time now that i have 111k on the clock.
Anyone interested in a labor trade?
wish me luck... looks like a bear.
I think i have everything to do it, now it is just my nerve holding me.
I have done gear swaps, injectors, exhausts, 10-12 vw bug engines, work on all other types of cars.
now it is time for the PD full monty...jaw drops

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! While you're out it, check out the balance shaft-oil pump article in the B5 Passat TDI FAQ as well, if you are going to do it, now is the best time.welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i have looked at this option.... but for now i am DIY. cost prohibitive for the $1500 parts add!
My PD is running smooth. no notable added noises. Maybe on the next 100k. service.

Wildrose offered me the $4,000 preventative maintenance. I can not see spending 1/2 the value of the car on preventative work. I rather spend $375 to do it myself (Timing/ w.p./ belts/coolant) and buy an new car in 5 more years. By then the car will be 12years old and the new cars will have superior Diesel hybrids or better.
I do love my Passat diesel, but the new gassers are doing about the same; mileage vrs fuel/ maintenance costs, and the rest of the car is aging. So this is its last maintenance, plus new headlamps, struts, axles and repack bearings. Should be good for 100k+ after this then it will be retired.

Well done chatting now time to look at the wonderful TDI pics and get back to my naked front end. A Timming i will Go...:panic:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All done! Special tools not needed it seems. just mark and match new belt with old. Now need to advance timing the best way. I do not like the cam jerking method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts