VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Found loads of info here so I feel this is the best place to get answers. I just bought a 2011 Touareg TDI and shipped it to Ghana, West Africa. From what I have read online I know the diesel in my country will clog the DPF filters and cause major problems for me :panic:

I am open to any suggestions since its too late to return the car and also I do not care for warranty issues cos its already voided. I am thinking doing a bypass on the DPF filter will solve some problems for me. just my two cents

Please Help.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hello, double post removed. Yes, you must remove the DPF. The problem is that the car's computer looks for proper operation of the DPF and Adblue system. What country is the car, US specification or European? The Adblue system can be a problem since the car will not restart if the Adblue runs out (it will keep running, it will just not restart).

The car is so new that I haven't seen any computer reflashes to remove the DPF yet. There might be an early program to do this in Europe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is a U.S. spec, bought it from florida. How do I go about bypassing this system. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The car is a U.S. spec, bought it from florida. How do I go about bypassing this system. Any ideas?
You have to have someone who can read the eeprom, the computer chip data, and rewrite it to delete the DPF. There's no way to delete the DPF by cutting it out without a check engine light and warning. The same goes for removing the Adblue fluid system. They're written in to the car's computer and the various sensors look for proper operation.

Having said that, I don't know what will happen if you just cut the DPF out at a repair shop. The check engine light will certainly go on and you will get a warning but I don't know how the engine will still run after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to have someone who can read the eeprom, the computer chip data, and rewrite it to delete the DPF. There's no way to delete the DPF by cutting it out without a check engine light and warning. The same goes for removing the Adblue fluid system. They're written in to the car's computer and the various sensors look for proper operation.

Having said that, I don't know what will happen if you just cut the DPF out at a repair shop. The check engine light will certainly go on and you will get a warning but I don't know how the engine will still run after that.
Thanks a lot. I think I will try it once the car arrives. I do not know whether my software guy will have the new files on the car. But I think I am leaning more on cutting a hole through the DPF as to allow everything to pass through. Rules aren't as strict here yet :D

Please keep me updated on any info if it becomes available.

Also, one of my guys was saying I could fill the adblue system with distilled water. Thinking of this cos adblue is not readily available over here.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks a lot. I think I will try it once the car arrives. I do not know whether my software guy will have the new files on the car. But I think I am leaning more on cutting a hole through the DPF as to allow everything to pass through. Rules aren't as strict here yet :D

Please keep me updated on any info if it becomes available.

Also, one of my guys was saying I could fill the adblue system with distilled water. Thinking of this cos adblue is not readily available over here.
Again, I don't know what will happen if you cut the DPF out without rewriting the software. You will get a check engine light at the minimum. Please report and share what happens to your car.

I am told the adblue system will be damaged with distilled water. It's normally distilled water-urea solution and it's possible the pumps or catalyst may not work correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts