VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Who do you think you are? Coming round here with your fancy car and your rather handsome new wheels:D I'd be tempted to remove the tdi and jetta badges too but that's just me.:)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who do you think you are? Coming round here with your fancy car and your rather handsome new wheels:D I'd be tempted to remove the tdi and jetta badges too but that's just me.:)
Haha, Thank you sir! I have thought about debadging it as well but only the Jetta badge. I like to advertise the TDI power :)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Everything but the VW badge I reckon, I think that'd just finish that back end off nicely. You'd think by now they'd have a cooler looking badge though, I mean how many years have they had the same old chrome thing on the back. What about getting one made in some cooler lettering? Italic or something, now that'd be different:D It's funny though because the one on the front doesn't look so out of place to me. Time for some photoshopping then you can try different things without making a mess of the car:)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Looks great, perfect stance.

What springs did you use to lower it?

What are the specs on the rims?
I'm thinking of Detroit / huffs.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever seen a slammed prius? Somehow I think it wouldn't look as good as this :D
Haha, thanks! I love that fact that although extremely efficient and eco-friendly the TDI can also be a good performer/looker. TDI FTW! :thumbsup

Looks great, perfect stance.

What springs did you use to lower it?

What are the specs on the rims?
I'm thinking of Detroit / huffs.
Thanks man! The suspension is a Rokkor coil-over setup and the ride height is fully adjustable. They ride a slight bit more stiff but in comparison to other lowered cars I've been in this thing rides beautiful.

The wheels are 18" X 8" ET 42 offset wrapped in 215-40-18 BFG KDW tires.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Haha, Thank you sir! I have thought about debadging it as well but only the Jetta badge. I like to advertise the TDI power :)
I'm the same way. No Jetta badge, but I kept my TDI badge. I have a plan to change my grill to match the GLI front end just like you did. I like the idea of putting another TDI badge where the GLI should have gone.

Nice wheels. I think I will also change mine, but I am thinking about finding used GLI wheels. Basically I'm going for a Jetta GLI with a TDI engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aero Wheels

I've written HRE a couple of times asking about a light weight, forged, disk type ( moon ) wheel, suggesting they just don't cut the spoke openings. They can finish any way you like. No response to such a haywire idea. It would be a radical aesthetic but good for a MPG or so. Any support here?
Bill

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It would work. Rear wheel covers are also a very effective aero mod.

One problem with a closed aero flat face wheel design is that you still need cooling for the brakes. This can be solved with small fan shaped cutouts to draw air out of the wheel area. These types of wheels were popular in the late 80s, early 90s, but have fallen out of favor for bigger open style wheels which show more of the brakes. I only know because I had 2 cars with fan shaped wheel spokes :) The Corvette also had similar style wheels.

Having said that, the reason they didn't respond is because they probably got tons of requests but once people learn how much custom wheels cost (that aren't a minor variant on existing wheels) they don't respond back. We're talking thousands of dollars to start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chitty,
You are right on the money once again.
I just sold my 89 Benz ( 300E ) that hadthose flat faced wheels with small openings at their perimeter. However there were dust shields behind the openings to keep brake dust off the exterior of the wheel.
So much for brake cooling although I never noticed any problems with either fade or excessive wear.
Re fan shapes on some of todays wheels ( Audi even has an 18" alternative ) they do not recognize which side of the car they mount on. On one side they pull air out,while on the other they push it in. They are not right or left handed.
Don't make sense to me. ?:dunno
Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts