VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Just popped in to register and say hello. I have 3 TDI BEW Engines to work on this weekend (timing belts!) so I am looking at the process for doing so. Already did an ALH last summer, tweaked the timing with VAG-COM and never had a better running TDI. Sadly it was stolen.... My parents and I all run TDI's now (all '04 BEW Engines) and I keep finding new things to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello there,

Just popped in to register and say hello. I have 3 TDI BEW Engines to work on this weekend (timing belts!) so I am looking at the process for doing so. Already did an ALH last summer, tweaked the timing with VAG-COM and never had a better running TDI. Sadly it was stolen.... My parents and I all run TDI's now (all '04 BEW Engines) and I keep finding new things to do.
I think that i am going to have to do my timing belt soon. Just curious, is this a hard task to tackle? I have a Haynes manual, and I also have the timing belt DIY change forum from this my turbo diesel.
Another question: what is a VAG-COM and is it expensive? I assume that this is a code reader for the VW JETTAS?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Vag com is now called vcds due to VAG being a trademark of Vw auto group. In addition to code reading it also can access the control modules. For your mk4 cars you use the KII cable since it doesn't need the additional can-bus interface of the more expensive cable. Yes they are expensive but you can use a generic cable w/their freeware software to access codes and some basic things. To do the more complicated things you need the genuine cable w/full version software.

3 TB! Are you sure you'll have enough time?

welcometomyturbodieswelcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vag com is now called vcds due to VAG being a trademark of Vw auto group. In addition to code reading it also can access the control modules. For your mk4 cars you use the KII cable since it doesn't need the additional can-bus interface of the more expensive cable. Yes they are expensive but you can use a generic cable w/their freeware software to access codes and some basic things. To do the more complicated things you need the genuine cable w/full version software.

3 TB! Are you sure you'll have enough time?

welcometomyturbodieswelcometomyturbodies
Will this make and model work for my 2001 JETTA? I found it for $128.00

Super VAG K+CAN V4.8

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
To directly answer your question those should work on your car because they are code readers with some more functions like key reading and airbag light reset.

However, it's not the same as VCDS. VCDS can access the control modules, read sensor values for troubleshooting, and let you change the car settings. If you have specific questions about VCDS, please post them in the VCDS section in the General forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts