VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with 140K. Over the last few months it has started to run rougher and lose fuel mileage & performance. After doing some research and hearing about the BRM camshaft problems I decided to check my cam..low and behold, it was worn below the factory corner chamfer on 2 exhaust lobes. Since the majority of the information I have recieved on cam wear has been from myturbodiesel, I decided to register and gain access to the DIY section. Needless to say it will be a great weekend of car repairs...yet again...
I have been performing regular oil changes at 8-10k using Quartz Toal 5W-30; the spec met what PD engine requires (505.01 i believe).

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, even though many people have stuck to VW's oil specs they still got wear. Make sure to switch to 5w-40 in the future which will help prevent this. However, some believe that it'll just happen again. Franko6 modifies the bearing caps to increase oiling to the bearings and oil splash. It sounds like it could work but any mod you do is at your own risk! On my personal car I did not do it, I just replaced and made sure to use thicker oil.

Let me guess, it was on #1 and #4? It seems like those are always the ones to get it first. However, if it's only minor wear it shouldn't cause your symptoms unless it's really bad. When was your timing belt last replaced? It's possible that the camshaft torsion has drifted (see FAQ for this article). Also, over the winter, the fuel is cut which does decrease mpg and performance. It could be as simple as changing fuel stations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts