VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just brought home my new Touareg TDI. I live in Arizona and could either not find a TDI or put a reasonable deal together. I found a reference to a dealer in Philadelphia who was offering good deals on Touareg TDI's. I called the specific salesman, (Chris Farnham) and made a deal at dealer invoice minus $1000 and made the deal. I had to wait a couple of weeks for the ship to arrive and the car to be delivered. The only down side to the deal was the 4 day drive to bring it home and the $847 cost to do so. That included meals, hotels and misc expenses. In a later post I will include specifics of the trip and my thoughts about the vehicle. Hope to learn more about what will make me a successful diesel owner.
Flicker

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Cool, I've driven the 2009-2010 and it's a real beast. I can't imagine how the new 8 speed transmission helps performance.

Color/trim specs/any complaints or compliments so far?

Also, post moved to the touareg section.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
45 Posts
They are probably the volume TDI dealer in the entire country. There's one in Coconut Grove that has vintage cars and unique decorations and they're the number one VW showroom.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have just brought home my new Touareg TDI.
Yeah, no TDIs in Kentucky either. Only 3 dealers within 100 miles actually. Only two had diesels, none had the Night Blue Metallic I wanted. Closest blue was something like 600 miles away, which added both inconvenience and price to the equation. I ended up getting the Galapagos Gray Metallic TDI Sport from a dealer in Tennessee. Picked it up Tuesday afternoon, and haven't even gotten close to finishing the owners manual(s) yet.

//greg//

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just brought home my new Touareg TDI. I live in Arizona and could either not find a TDI or put a reasonable deal together. I found a reference to a dealer in Philadelphia who was offering good deals on Touareg TDI's. I called the specific salesman, (Chris Farnham) and made a deal at dealer invoice minus $1000 and made the deal. I had to wait a couple of weeks for the ship to arrive and the car to be delivered. The only down side to the deal was the 4 day drive to bring it home and the $847 cost to do so. That included meals, hotels and misc expenses. In a later post I will include specifics of the trip and my thoughts about the vehicle. Hope to learn more about what will make me a successful diesel owner.
Flicker
None in Hawaii too!!!

BTW, congrats on the new ride. I'm trying to order mine as we speak...

Wanted to get the climate controlled front seats (heated & COOLED) option that's available in Europe. Seems silly not to have that option for a $50K+ car. Even called VW, but they said that it wasn't something considered for the US. Gee, I guess VW thinks that it doesn't get hot in the US. Duh, how about Hawaii where the all time record low was 52...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't add it. It's insanely expensive to buy and ship seats from europe but you may be able to order the fan, seat cushions, and seat skins and do it yourself. It's still pretty expensive and you'd have to wire it in yourself.

The cushions are about $100 ea, the seat skins are about $400 ea, and the blowers are about $50. So for the seat and backrest that's about $1200 for each seat. If you're serious about this project I can give you the part numbers, they would have to be special ordered from Europe. The local dealer doesn't have access to order them.

And at that point they will just be fans, not air conditioned. I think there may be a separate duct for the AC to be piped to the fan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Over on the X5 board at bimmerfest the vented seats are generally not all that popular in actual use. It may be better to get a set of those beaded seat things the cab drivers use for hot sticky weather instead of spending major bucks on something that may not work all that well anyway. On the new TDI T-egg the X5d's seem to be getting a pretty large kick back from the gov't as well as a tax break. I guess that is why the dealer is able to offer his T-egg "under invoice". There are T-egg diesels here in NoCal -- and I suspect in SoCal as well. A question, does VW offer European Deliver (as does Audi)? I know they used to years ago.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Even the Cornsilk seats in my TDI Sport get hot after sitting in a sunny parking lot for a while. Turns out the sheepskin inserts I used on my E-class (perforated MB-Tex) fit almost perfectly on the 2011 Touareg seats. I'm not advocating any one source, but here's a photo to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. "Insert" means that they only cover the areas between the bolsters. Depending upon where you buy them, you'll pay maybe $100 per seat delivered.

//greg//

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions!

Maybe I'll have to wait for that to become an option in the US...

Still, it'd be nice to have the full spread of options that are available on the Treg without feeling like we've been short-changed, especially on a $50K+ car.

When it's 80+ degrees outside with 80%+ humidity, anything cooled feels good...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts