VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have a 2004 passat 2.0l tdi. recently my timing belt idler pully stud broke. i installed new timing kit, belt tensioner and idler also new stud. all seemed ok for 500 miles or so. now the idler stud has broke again. why is this happening. thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that. It shouldn't break on its own, where are you getting the parts? What service related to the TB was done before it broke the first time? How many miles on these events?

Also, post moved to mk4 section since it's a bit beyond a quick intro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when it happened the first time it had 62k miles. i heard a rattle noise started looking and saw the timing cover cracked. after tear down i noticed the broke stud. before this the engine had not had any work done to it. the nut on the stud had come off so i assumed it broke from stress after that. i purchased a crp kit from bap that had new roller, belt and tensioner. got the stud and nut from the dealer. when it broke the second time it was about 500 miles. the nut was still on the stud this time but the stud was broke. the tensioner picked up the slack so the belt never jumped. now i dont have a clue as to why it does this.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I had this on another car but not a vag, it broke twice taking out all the lifters etc so the second time I'd had enough and got rid of the car, no idea what caused it though.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
. I see some type of vibration problem, or nut was over torqued causing roller bearing to overheat and seize. Try using proper torque and some grease between the stud and roller, then use some red lock tite on the treads of the stud and nut. In the case you have to remove the stud or nut you can heat the nut with the torch and it will loosen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the thing is on both rollers the roller itself was not damaged and spins very free. the only damage i see is the stud itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts