VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI, awesome car, 230k now, bought it with 140k...just started getting vibration only when starting off in first gear from a stop. Found a thread on TDIclub that basically says my problem is caused by a failing dual mass flywheel or failing motor mounts. So I have been exploring clutch replacement (done it a few times on other cars) and ran across a great write up on transmission removal. The write up stops short and I could only finish it by registering here, and I could only see the rest of the post by posting my own thread...so here you go, and nice tease and pretty smart imho.

If anyone has some insight as to how I can diagnose my problem I would appreciate it...I cannot find anything on how to rule out a failing DMF or bad motor mount.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I thought the dmf was rattly when it was failing, apparently you can listen from under the car when it's idling and you should hear it. The other thing is worn injectors, I have bigger nozzles fitted that I got new and I've noticed they're a lot smoother at take off. It could also be just a worn clutch and not the dmf itself, I think the reasoning behind the dmf idea is because it has springs in it which i think are supposed to dampen vibration and if they're worn out it could give vibration but like I said I always thought they're supposed to be noisy when worn out. have a look in the faq at the info on the dmf and the clutch in general, you might find it helpful.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's very possible that it is a bad DMF. In my case, it was so bad the shifter shook, new flywheel+clutch, problem solved. However, I would have gotten a single mass flywheel+clutch kit instead since they are a little smoother in engagement. You will notice some more rattling at idle. If you feel like it's during clutch engagement in 1st, this is very likely the DMF or clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cannot hear rattling at idle, it just feels like the clutch is really grabbing when taking off in first and the whole car shakes, and it does not happen any other time. I was leaning toward the clutch since I've driven it 90k and have no idea when the last cluch was replaced, plus I cannot hardly move the engine in any direction...but good to get a second and third opinion. I am just perplexed because my previous clutches all slipped when it was time to replace them.

While we are at it, anyone willing to share which SMF kit they would recommend and where to get it?

Thanks again, much obliged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts