VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
First post on this site, but hopefully won't be my last. I have been kicking around some ideas for a TDI conversion. I may even be posting under the wrong fourm heading. Anyway, I have driven an 02 Beetle with the Tdi, and just love the torque and response from the engine. Not to mention the incredible fuel mileage I also love 86 to 93 Mazda B series pickups. I thought that a neat project would be to combine the two. I feel I have reasonable mechanical skills, and willing to try and do anything. Are there any particulars I should look for when selecting the engine. I want to keep the Mazda truck as stock as possible, with the exception of the engine. I would like to use the tranny out of the Mazda, but don't know if that will be a possibility. I have read on other fourms, that Toyota transmissions will bolt with little modification to the Tdi. Are there any particular year model engines that would be an easier swap? Any information would really help me, and kinda help me know what to look for, what other components I may need for a VW to make the engine run. Thanks, and from what I can tell so far this is a great site!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks, some basic ideas:
The engine is transverse so make sure you account for that.
Stay with a 98 or 99 engine since they don't have immobilizers. Otherwise you will have to use the VW key and instrument cluster. A 2000 might not but check. They were basically all the same 98-2003.
4 cylinder VW engines generally had the same basic bolt pattern but their gear ratios are different.
You will have to tweak the front suspension on the Mazda to account for the weight of the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you say transverse, does that mean that it can't be used in a rear wheel drive vehicle? New to all this so please bear with me. One other question, if you recommend an older engine, older than 99, are there performance mods that can be done to the ecu? Will the older engines be comparable to say 2000 and up? Or will there be enough difference to matter.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
With the stock transmission, it's FWD only. You could mount it in a longitudinal layout so that it's RWD but the mounting gets slightly more complicated and you have to use your own transmission.

98-2003 ALH engines mechanically are almost identical. This is the standard mk4 (mark 4, 4th generation) TDI engine in North America. Lots of them out there. But the 98 and 99 ECUs don't use an immobilizer. There are small differences though. For example, the 98 and 99 see only 1 glow plug circuit. The 2001 (I think, maybe 2002) and newer see 4 glow plug circuits, 1 for each cylinder. Therefore, you have to keep the ECU with the wiring harness. I'm pretty sure the engine itself can be swapped between 98-2003, mechanically I believe there weren't any significant differences. I just assumed that you were getting an entire front clip with ecu, wires, engine, cluster pedal, etc.. There are lots of chips and tunes available.

Oh, and you have to use the pedals since the car is drive by wire. There's a poteniometer in the accelerator pedal, no cable. Some people have heavily modified their car to to use a mechanical injection pump that isn't drive by wire but if you're using a TDI ECU, I would just keep it as drive by wire. Again, because it's drive by wire you'll have to use an ECU unless you go to a mechanical injection pump. And by sticking with the 98 or 99, you don't have to use the TDI instrument cluster because of the immobilizer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dude, you answered alot of my questions. I wouldn't have a problem using the ecu or anything else associated with the wiring, I just want to keep the instrument cluster I have in the truck. I think in a conversion, the simpler the better. And I wanna use everything I possibly could from the Mazda, with the exception of the engine and management system. There is a VW mechanic not too far from him, I'm gonna go pick his brain when I get a chance. When and if I start buying the components, I wanna amke sure I get everything necessary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sounds like a real project, post pics along the way if you decide to do it. FYI, the engine mounts are also a little funny, there is a mount on the left and right side which the engine hangs by and a mount on the underside which controls it from rocking back and forth. You will need to use all custom mounts. If the gear ratios in the truck match up you could use an adapter plate to bolt up the transmission. But the shaft would have to fit, you'd have to use custom clutch lines, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping that other than the engine, and other components related to the engine, I could use everything else stock. Guess I'll see as I do more checking into it.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
My first post here also

Hello to everyone!

I'm in the process of doing a TDI engine transplant into an '84 Vanagon. This type transplant is nothing new. However, I am using the later TDI engine (2001 model). The cluster will be modified to fit in place of the existing Vanagon cluster. Also, the key/ignition from the donor vehicle will be installed, thus "two" key system. There will be a challenge to address all the components to make sure the CEL does constantly stay on.

For those considering a TDI engine transplant, there is some pretty good info at Yahoo Groups. Do a search on TDI conversions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 VW Beetle tranny swap

Hi, I have a 2000 VW Beetle. I need to replace the 5 speed in it. Anyone have instructions on the correct way to do this? Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hi, I have a 2000 VW Beetle. I need to replace the 5 speed in it. Anyone have instructions on the correct way to do this? Thanks everyone
Check the mk4 FAQ for the DIY. Beetle should only be slightly different that shown. Beetle trans also has slightly different gearing than jetta/golf tdi, don't know why but that's what the manual says. shouldn't make any real difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts