VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

PDX Jetta here. I'm running a 2003 Jetta tdi wagon with 110k. Acquired the car last year in the spring with 90K and promptly did the timing belt. Not soon after I decided that as much as I love the MPG the uphill passing ability was sorely lacking and I swapped the nozzles for some bosio spirit 520's loaded into new balanced injectors and a kerma tune. Passing ability improved so did the millage (marginally) as did the smile factor. Clutch wore out not 10k later, not entirely surprising given its condition when vehicle was purchased. Replaced the clutch with a Southbend Stage 2 endurance with single mass flywheel. Clutch issues solved. Another 5k later the exhaust rusts through in multiple places as does the down pipe. Replaced from turbo back with new stock D.P. (Fortunately, good deal on this one) and kerma 2.5in pipe kit with some Aero brand "muffler" which was loud as a hell though I was assured it's quiet. I should have known better having been through this kind of thing too many time before with other vehicles. Exhuast system now as a 20in inch resonator just behind the cat and the Aero "muffler" in the stock location. Not sexy or necessarily free flow but livable. Not the present car is smokey low on power and popping a 17964 Charge Pressure Control Negative Deviation P1556-35-10 -- Intermittent" on the vag-com. MAF seems to be functioning ok (runs worse and very smokey when disconnected). Going to test the N75, replace the vac lines (needed or not), test VNT actuator and boost leak test. I have a bit of a suspicion that I have a boost leak but the the rest need to be checked as well, at least I think so right now. Any thoughts always welcomed and thanks to everybody for the great write ups.

Cheers.

PDXJ

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It certainly sounds like you have a burst boost pipe or a bad connection, I would check them all from the turbo to the intercoler and up to the inlet manifold, I think you guys get problems with the connections at the intercooler on the Jetta but not 100% on that.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Boost leak is possible, do a quick visual inspection before you do a pressure test, you might find something major and easy to fix first. Feel free to look through the low power article, there are some advanced troubleshooting steps there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts on the boost plumbing. I'll try inspecting that first and have a good look before I get out the compressed air. Thanks.

PDXJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts