VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased a 2010 2.0 TDI with 164k miles for the most part I am extremely happy with it so far, Got a couple of questions.
It has has emissions repair, and timing belt glow plugs water pump ect ect ect done already

1. When I start up sometimes i smell a very faint smell of diesel/ almost propane smell is this normal?

2. I removed my engine cover and noticed a gunky build up (Oily Goo) around injector #1 by the oil fill and #4, is this normal?

3. It needs a fuel filter replaced but I have read you need to prime the system with computer, is this true?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, if these are issue any idea on how a repair might be?

· Premium Member
253 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
The gunk buildup around the base of the injector is a sign of leaking seals of the injectors. 164K miles would be enough to say it’s worn seals.
Changing the fuel filter on a diesel is not like on a gasser. I haven’t need to interface with the computer to change a fuel filter. However, there is no tolerance for air in a diesel fuel system. Hence the old saying ‘never run a diesel out of fuel’. You have a canister type fuel filter and water separator. When you remove the fuel filter, your also need to remove water from the bottom of the fuel filter canister. Sometimes there’s zero water sometimes I get a few tablespoons of water. Personally, I remove all the fuel and clean out the canister. Replace the seals and fuel filter and fill the canister with fresh, clean fuel (do NOT put the fuel you removed from the canister back into the canister!) and close it up.

· Premium Member
5 Posts
The build up around the injectors is most likely part of valve cover sealing rings that surround the injectors and/or injector o-ring seals. Obviously the entire fuel rail/lines/injectors have to be removed to replace the valve cover seals, and you would have to use VCDS or another scan tool to purge the air from the system after reassembly.

I always use VCDS to "purge" the system after fuel filter changes, but it may not always be necessary. I don't know... I use VCDS because I have it so I use it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts