VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 2005 Passat GLS TDI.
This is replacing my workhorse Audi A6 1996.
Very similar in some ways but different in others.
Not sure of the geeky details like its particular engine genus beyond 2L TDI.
It has 78,000 miles and will be due for a TB soon. Also needs front pads and fuel pump seals for a minor leak as revealed from a dealer check 3000 mi ago.
Bought it from a private owner who took great care of it and first revealed these deficiencies and then backed these costs out of the already reasonable price (given the crazy market) for this not so available vehicle.
It's the blue pearlescent which is almost grey in some light and full options model. Also included a warranty good for 2 more years and or 20,000 mi. Paid $13,500.
chris

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Congrats! Sedan or wagon?

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/vw-passat-TDI-buying-guide.htm Here is a new owner maintenance checklist for the 2004 and 2005 Passat (they are pretty much the same).

When you replace the TB I also suggest replacing the oil pump balance shaft module while you're in there. Find out who the warranty is under and try to have them replace the balance shaft or else you will get to the point where you'll be at higher risk for failure. There are details explaining the background of this common problem in the FAQ.

I also had a 97 Audi A4 and it's surprising how close they are related mechanically. For example, they use the same exact front suspension and the same type of transmission (slightly different model for gearing for the TDI). Same ABS pump, basic brake system, etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The engine code is BHW and it's a pumpe duse. The fuel injectors are actually mini fuel pumps. As chitty mentioned, the chains on the balance shafts like to break which can wipe out the engine. IMHO, replace it and sleep easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts