VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just picked up an 03 Jetta GLX. I found my way here by reading the VW Key Remote FOB FAQ and need some help.

As I said I just picked this vehicle up today. I bought it from a used car dealer and didnt drive it home. I had my dad drive it and I followed him in my Jeep. When he handed over the key (just one) it wasn't the flip out VW key I used when I test drove the car. It was just the plain valet key. I called the dealership and told them I needed the other key, and now they can't find it.

I checked with my local VW dealership and they are asking $250 for one new key and programming.

According to the FAQ I was reading I can read how to get the SKC once I register and post here. Hopefully that will get me on my way to solving my problem.

Anyway...Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'll post up a quick question;

By using the valet key am I missing anything? It's almost the same price to take the car to my local stereo shop and have a remote start with keyless entry installed.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You can continue to use the valet key to start and drive the car but I believe that it won't work the glovebox or trunk.

$250 really isn't that bad. Buying the software and key to do it yourself will be more than that. My suggestion is to tell the dealer that they lost the key and for them to replace it at their cost. If you really want to DIY, take a look back at the immobilizer FAQ.

Also, post moved to mk4 technical.

Also, for the shop to install the remote starter they'll most likely need a key to take the chip out of as many remote starters need a key to work with the immobilizer. If you only have 1 key you can't use the remote start. I think some newer ones might be able to work around it but not sure. They would know for sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess I'll post up a quick question;

By using the valet key am I missing anything? It's almost the same price to take the car to my local stereo shop and have a remote start with keyless entry installed.
Well, the OEM remote does everything. Do you want to have to carry the extra valet key in addition to the remote start key fob?

And :+1 on telling the seller to give you the key or pay for a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks guys. Guess I'll bite the bullet and take it to the stealership.

After further review, the dealer wants $60 for the key, and $85 for the remote. The other $100 is for programming. So I guess I'm on the lookout for new keys. Maybe ebay?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Have you read the mk4 key FAQ? http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vw-smart-key-remote-replacement.htm It has more on getting a replacement key. The problem is that you don't have an existing switchblade. Your situation is unique in that you have a working valet key.

The cheapest way is to buy a cut key from an online dealer like 1stvwparts or worldimpex. Then sacrifice your valet key - take it apart and get the chip and put it in the new switchblade key. You now have a cut key that has a programmed immobilizer chip. If you want to keep the valet key and don't want to take the new key apart, you only have to pay $100 for programming which is a fair price. The dealer isn't ripping you off since they have to make profit too but there are cheaper ways.

Refer to the key FAQ to see what part number is correct, the 2003 should have immo3 which means you cannot use used keys except for parts because the immo chip can only be written once.

Of course, the cheapest way is to make the seller give you the key that came with the car or pay for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry if I'm coming off like some ignorant, thick headed troll here :)

I've read it. Just trying to figure out what applies to me. As for the seller paying for the key I'm sure thats not going to happen. At this point it's going to be cheaper for me to either pay the dealership or order something online. I guess I just dont understand exactly what the proceedure is.

I understand obviously I can take it to the dealer, drop it off and write a check.

I'm a Jeep guy though and I like to do things myself and learn how they work. This is my wife's car...and I'm a little jealous :)

If I understand it correctly and wanted to do it myself (please correct me if I'm wrong) I would need:

2 cut keys from a local automotive locksmith, or online dealer.
2 switchblade remote bases with new, unassigned RFID transponders in them
Vagtacho (or similar) SKC software

Once I have all these parts I need to run the SKC software into my vehicle and assign the codes for the new transponders (this is the part I'm not sure of).

After having the transponders programmed to the vehicle I need to go through the steps to program the keyless entry (which I do understand)

Again, sorry for seeming like a dumbass here. This is just kind of new to me. If anyone needs help with any Jeep issues I know em like the back of my hand :D

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
In addition to software to get the SKC you also need software to input it and use the keys This would be VCDS. You can use the KII cable since you have a 2003. I think they come in serial and USB.

It sounds like you want 2 keys so yes, your assumptions are correct except for the above note about VCDS. I don't think the vag tacho can do keys but not 100% sure. The valet key also has to be present because all keys must be present when programming them.

You could also buy the cut keys online and take it to the dealer for programming. It literally takes about 1 minute to program a key if they've already programmed the first one and have all the data ready so they should not charge you any extra.

The other option is to break apart the valet key you have now and swap the chip out of a cut key with the valet key's chip. The immobilizer won't know the difference because it only sees the chip. The ignition cylinder and keyless entry and different things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 VW Jetta and I have the key part but not any part of the plastic fob - neither the remote entry piece or the piece with the RFID chip in it. Is it possible to use ANY VW key fob and hold it in proximity to the steering column or does a new chip have to be programmed? I'm a little bit confused with all the information out there.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
As long as the chip is programmed to that exact car any key could work. Your 2000 can also use used keys. Newer ones can't. If the chip is not programmed to that exact car it will not work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Posting to get access to the SKC document on key programming.
I just bought a 2003 Jetta and it only came with 1 key. I'd like to get another and really don't want to go to the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts