VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. Looks like a lot of good info here ... as referenced by tdiclub.com. I just bought a 2004 Passat TDI ... it has. 124k miles and has a rebuilt title.

I'll be doing a timing belt soon ... and everyone has me nervous enough to probably do the balance shaft module replacement too.

Only 2 other issues ... tires are wearing uneven - probably not aligned well when it was 'rebuilt' and I really hope a simple alignment will do the trick. The only other thing is three the transmission seems to be indecisive shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Doesn't feel like a slip ... more like it shifts to 3rd/back to 2nd for just a fraction of a second/back to 3rd. It doesn't do it at higher rpm shifts ... just when tooling around like an old man... as I tend to do.

I look forward to being part of the group.
Thanks,
Jesse

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
FYI, make sure that the front subframe is aligned. If you look in the balance shaft writeup it has pictures showing how to check. Alignment starts there and who knows what was rebuilt.

I would do a transmission fluid change and see what happens before getting worried about another transmission problem.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

CCBB,
Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly check out the alignment after reviewing the balance shaft procedure. The car rides really smooth ... so I'm hoping nothing is too far out. I enjoy working on my cars ... and knowing things are done right. I really like cars that have a "following" ... this site is great!

Have fun!
JT
2004 VW Passat TDI
2006 Chevy K2500 Duramax
1975 Toyota Landcruiser (anohter great vehicle with quite a following)
2000 VW New Beetle TDI (gave to a young lady at church in 2005) ... 5spd manual / 50mpg; miss it !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts