VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pristine 2006 jetta tdi with 58588 on the clock . 23 oil changes , brake lines flushed , fuel filters every 25k , new rear brake pads and rotors, coolant flushed, new tires at 28k , 2 new batteries 28k, 56k, and all work was done at a local vw dealership. One thing that really stuck out in the carfax report was the transmission was removed and reinstalled at 900 miles , no mention as to what the problem was or if a new transmission was installed . Obviously if there was a problem it never reemerged in 58k . There was no mention as to the transmission oil being replaced at 40 k as required, so this will be the first item to be addressed.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2005.5 Volkswagen Jetta TDi PKG2 DSG
13 Posts
Nice buy! They probably removed the transmission to replace the chattery DMF which is a very common issue from 05.5 up

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a very good possibility, my thoughts were that if the transmission removal at 900 miles was for something serious, it would have worked it’s way out somewhere before the 58k mark. I live in Western New York , so this was trailered from Virginia where I only had a short test drive. At home here, we are dealing with 12 in of snow and super cold temperatures. This car will sit until spring most likely before I can really get to know more about the DSG. My other’06 is a manual transmission so I have some learning to do.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The DSG is pretty fun once you get used to it. manual mode is fun along with sport mode. I like the way it keeps boost up through each shift. If you dont already, I recommend having vcds so you can do a full scan on all the modules. I have a 2005.5 Jetta pkg2 DSG and its got 314k on it. Other than the typical 40k mi service interval, the Mechatronics unit taking a dump and a flywheel replacement, everything is original other than a couple upgrades. 12 inches of snow is insane! Hope it has heated seats!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 in of snow is only the beginning of winter here , it 5 degree now with an additional 4 in of snow . So it’s going to be spring before I can get into this . I have VCDS, so a full scan and the transmission fluid change is first priority. When you change the fluid in your DSG, do you use the factory method or the drain measure and replace method? Also any brand of fluid better than another? Thanks

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I used the factory method since i replaced the mechatronic unit. It wasnt too bad of a job either. I would just stick with what VW uses from the factory. Hasn’t failed me yet. Also, i think a key practice to keep the DMF happy is to use the parking brake whenever you park. On alot of chattery units i notice the parking brake rarely gets used. How much did you get the car for out of curiosity?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I paid $10900 for the jetta , it was listed on cars.com with the full carfax report with all service on it done at the same vw dealership where it was purchased.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m assuming that it was owned by an older person, not driving much per year but adhered to the factory service intervals, like I said before was why the transmission was removed and reinstalled at 900 miles . With my previous experience with my 06 manual jetta tdi , maintenance and the use of VCDS , has helped me keep my first jetta tdi running strong and reliably.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
It might need an italian tune up to clean up that cat. The intake might be clogged up as well if it spent alot of time idling/driving slow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had 3 mid 80’s Mercedes 300d before I bought my first Jetta tdi, I remember the Italian tune up . Going up a 4 mile long hill about 70 mph, belching black soot like a steam engine, the good old days . 🤙

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
LOL those mid 80’s Mercedes are grra as long as valves are adjusted properly. Surprised at how much they’ve gone up in price. Almost sold my tdi for a mercedes but im just so familiar with these mk5’s

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Every used car went up in price by 15 to 20% , this 06 jetta was blue book about $8500 I paid $10900. I agree with you on how reliable and easy to work on them , anything newer , you get into a stupid amount of sensors and computer crap .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try and keep the revs higher between the gear shifts. The real reason the DMF's on VW's fail is because the engine can lug so well down to about 1200rpm and you can sit in a high gear.
Not sure if you have sport mode but this is perfect for protecting your dmf.
I know this is exactly the job that DMF are designed to do but the difference in work it has to do between being in the right gear and a high gear is about 100% more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very good point , at the moment, the car won’t be driven until spring and all the snow is melted. I have another 06 jetta tdi that I’m driving , so all necessary work that needs to be done will happen then . Lack of a heated garage prevents me from doing anything now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah i just did my sons TDI timing belt in the fall... not too terribly difficult but would be miserable to do in an unheated garage in winter.

Although I did his a4B7 that way with a small heater .. cold and not much light, miserable job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have 3 other vehicles to drive so the timing belt and transmission fluid change will be waiting until mid May at least . Also, I had a total knee replacement surgery on December 16 and getting the other knee replaced on March 17 , so I’m not in a big hurry. When you changed the timing belt , did you have the tools to pin the gears etc. I was going to do the timing belt on my other MKV jetta in the late summer but my knees were so bad, I had to postpone it .

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 3 other vehicles to drive so the timing belt and transmission fluid change will be waiting until mid May at least . Also, I had a total knee replacement surgery on December 16 and getting the other knee replaced on March 17 , so I’m not in a big hurry. When you changed the timing belt , did you have the tools to pin the gears etc. I was going to do the timing belt on my other MKV jetta in the late summer but my knees were so bad, I had to postpone it .
yes i picked up the tools off aliexpress or amazon, don't quite remember, they were dirt cheap and worked very very well. When i went to do the torsion adjustment after , the timing was bang on spec and needed zero adjustment. it was at the 0 degrees spec and went to -.5 when i blipped the gas as it is supposed to.. Before i started it was at 3 degrees so the tools lined it all up pretty good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just looked on Amazon for the timing tools and they listed sets from 15.99 up through 145.00 . I would be very skeptical using the cheap tools, just me . With 2 mkv jettas , better quality tools would pay off in the long run for me . IDparts seems to have the kits with everything I would need for the timing belt and the dsg fluid change. Have you ever redone a jetta headliner? That’s also on the list for the newer Jetta. Got to love YouTube, some great videos and a bunch of crap though , do the research.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.