VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my second TDI and this one has a few issues i hope someone can help me with. It accelerates like crazy but lays down heavy black smoke (really heavy). if you take off normal it doesn't smoke much at all. It also has the shudder when you come to a stop. If you sit for a min or so it clears up. The previous owner just replaced the turbo trying to fix the smoke. He said it was better than it was. I have only driven it about 50 miles so i don't know what fuel economy is.

I have the vag com and was going to try and set the fueling tomorrow, but wanted to ask someone first. Should i just go in there and try and lean it out?

Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Try checking the injection quantity and seeing where it is. If it's not from the turbo, oil smoke could be from piston blowby or a clogged CCV system. If it's diesel smoke then it's probably a fuel issue like dirty nozzles. If it's repeated it's probably not just a tank of bad fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, spent the last 3 nights looking at every tdi forum and trying out what i found the next day. i looked at all the hoses and didn't see anything bad. I just wasn't ready to mess around with settings without asking someone. Just so you know my ability: my timing belt broke on my other tdi and i replaced the head myself and have 30k on it.

I looked at my IQ number today and it was idleing at 1.9, just wanted to ask someone before i adjusted it.
Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts