VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell to all. I just placed an order (well actually reserved a car that dealer has coming in) for a 2010 JSW (TDI). I didn't want a sunroof and the car has the "standard" radio. I am interested in swapping this out for the RNS-510. The question is - how hard to switch them out? Would this be something for the dealer to do?

Thanks for any and all comments.

·
Registered
226 Posts
IMHO, get one through ebay and it's plug-play. You may have to use VCDS software to adjust the software code for the car to recognize that it was changed. The dealer can do it but you'll pay retail so install it yourself. Just make sure you get a US version that comes with the map.

I think you also have to add the GPS antenna. The sirius subscription can be transferred. Here is a GPS forum with some more info:http://www.vwnavi.com/

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's plug-play.

I believe the software change is also to disable the stock compass (if equipped). The RNS has a built in compass which is redundant and confuses the computers.

You do have to add a GPS antenna, these are dirt cheap and you can mount them anywhere.

There appears to be voice control on the RNS but it's not enabled on US cars and I don't think the software or firmware is ready for it. It might be able to be activated later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the excellent replies. If I self-install do I need to purchase cable/software to do the re-programming?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You need to buy the cable. You can also do lots of other tricks like setting the locks to unlock after you shut the car off and remove the key. They don't have much depreciation since used works exactly the same as new. You'll need the Hex CAN cable for CAN BUS cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts