VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new (30 year Volvo convert) to the VW TDI owners club and have jumped in with both feet (45mpg is a powerful motivator) . I purchased a 2006 Jetta TDI with 130,000 miles that is cosmetically very nice. The previous owner recently last 3,000 had the cam, lifters, bearings, seals and a new timing belt kit installed by a VW specialty shop in Ephrata, PA (Paul E. Whitmer Garage). I spoke with the mechanic at Whitmer's garage prior to purchasing and they pulled their records and said the car should be in good shape for another 80 - 100k with proper oil/filter changes. I then took the car to a local VW specialty shop near me in Georgetown, DE (Carey's Foreign Car Service) and they spent and hour, looked the car over, hooked to computer and pronounced it as sound but likely to need a new dual mass clutch/flywheel in the next six months. They also noted a crack in the accessory mount bracket where the engine mount bolts on, the tech said it was likely from over torquing and recommended watching it closely and replacing it soon. Unfortunately soon should have been immediately as in the 300 miles the engine mount bracket loosened and broke the top rear engine mount "ear" off as well as snapping the top ear off the aluminum accessory mount bracket. I am now the proud owner of; a diesel geek Van Gogh block repair kit; a new superseded VW engine mount bracket, all new stretch bolts, a Bently Jetta service manual and a number other misc fun TDI related things. I am just wondering before I begin the Van Gogh installation odyssey if and one on this forum has done this job and can give me some pointers on egr cooler removal/replacement and the installation of the new engine mount bracket from VW which does not use the top ear of the accessory mount bracket and requires a new timing belt cover. Any assistance is appreciated. Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts