VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

I am the new owner of a 2005.5 jetta tdi 4 door, 1.9 PD BRM, 5 speed, heated pleather, heated mirrors, 6 disc in dash, good sound system (tweeters, mid-ranges & woofers in front doors), rain sensing wipers, full MFD (i believe this is accurate), etc., etc. The only thing I do not understand about this vehicle is why it has all of the creature comforts you can expect, but it has steel wheels.

I bought the car from a dealership in Western PA(something I DO NOT plan on doing again anytime in the near future) with 125,000 miles on it. The car had a pretty detailed carfox (9,000ish mile OCI, regular computer system checks, tire rotations, etc.). I haggled with the dealership to get a timing belt kit installed, oil change, fuel filters, air filter, and new brakes and rotors (went to service to ensure that they actually did all the components of the timing belt change). I walked out the door ten grand poorer.

The issues I have with the car and the buying experience:

1. The car was missing a hubcap- The dealership said they would look for one for me, but said they can only order in sets of 4 (Snake oil, I presume), so they couldn't guarantee I would get the 4th. I am currently missing one hubcap.

2. The car has only one key, which starts the car, but it does not do anything else (remotely unlock the doors, trunk, alarm). I missed this issue when I was writing up a list of demands for the dealership, and after the agreement and an argument about the key, they only said they can give me a dealer discount on re-programming (if this is all it needs), or a new key at cost, cutting and programming at a dealer discounted rate.

3. I was hoping to inspect the camshaft while the timing belt was being done, but I did not read the article here about BRM PD timing belt change beforehand.. I assumed that the valve cover would be removed, and I was incorrect. I have read tons about the camshaft lobe wear, and have watched a few videos that display the tell-tale noises of a failing camshaft. I will constantly listen for any similar noises on my car until I have time to inspect under the valve cover myself.

My big issue is the key. I tried to replace the battery, but this was not the solution. I have read mixed information about what my situation is:

I have read that if the key starts the car, then both parts are programmed correctly to the car (FOB and IMMO chip). COntrary to this, I have read that the FOB might need programmed, but the key will start the car if just the IMMO chip is programmed correctly.

Hoping for the latter, I have done some reading about DIY programming, but all the threads I find seem to be tailored to programming a second key (putting the one that works in the ignition, new one in the door...)

Yesterday I talked to a VW tech here in western PA (different dealership than where I shopped). He told me that if the car starts and remains running, then BOTH parts of the key are programmed correctly, but the FOB is faulty. He then read me some numbers for a new key ($100 for key, $40 for programming). I have found key fobs online for around $15, but I'm not sure that I want to go that route (in case I get the wrong frequency fob, or something else that wont work with my car).

Does anybody have any advice?

Jon

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You have a package 0 because you have steel wheels. The 2005.5 was loaded with all sorts of goodies, even on base cars. The 2006 packages were different because VW decontented the car to save money.

2. Do you have the switchblade key or valet key? Look in the mk5 key FAQ to just reprogram the key. It's pretty easy, the hard part is syncing the key with the immobilizer system which you don't need to do since the key starts the car. The procedure to get a new key is also in the mk5 key FAQ. Your key is not programmed, just synced. If you don't have a second key at all you can do it with VCDS. If you don't have this tool you have to either buy it or go to the dealer.

I'm not sure what the VW tech you talked to is try to say but the engine start and remote function are in two different halves of the key. How do you think a valet key works? Don't buy used metal key halves, they are useless. The remote half can be reused if the FCC number is the same.

FYI, 100 for a new key and 40 for programming is a great price. They normally charge 1 hour labor and rip you off on the key. $250 is average. The only way it could be cheaper is to buy a cut key online and take it to them for programming.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the good info. I have the switchblade key. I too thought that the tech was incorrect when he told me the key was programmed if it starts the car( I read a little about immo4, but there is a lot to ingest). So you think it might just need re-programmed?

The price that the tech quoted was most likely 100 for the fob only. I was shocked that they wouldn't charge 1 hour for programming (dealer where I bought the car said 1 hour min.). Maybe he was saying he would cut me a break because my good buddy is a sales rep there.

Do all dealerships use rosstech vcds? Does Volkswagen advocate this? From what I've read about vcds, they're pretty amazing. I don't think it's possible on my BRM PD(based on my readings), and I could be wrong, but I wish i could program my egr valve to the off-road setting. Maybe what I'm thinking is that I can't delete the egr as easily as you could with 99-03 tdi's. Either way, I have a lot to learn about my new car.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Couldn't say, maybe the fob really is bad.

Dealers might use rosstech VCDS but it's an aftermarket tool. Any official dealer diagnostic tool is a few thousand dollars minimum.

You cannot change the EGR to an offroad setting on your PD. You can delete the EGR but you need chip tuning for the car to run well.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chitty,

While you're here, I have another question for you. I am having trouble figuring out which radio that I have in my 05.5 tdi jetta. It looks like a premium 7 with black buttons, but what is throwing me off is the "MIX" button. Most of the pictures on the OEM Ipod cable page show the premium 7 with a "SAT" button where my "MIX" button is. I'm not sure if I have satellite radio capabilities or not. What I am sure of is that my car will play MP3 discs, which I read the black buttoned radio will not do.

I want to get an ipod adapter for my car, but I want to be sure what to buy first. Any info you have for me will help!

Jon

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Not sure what the mix button does. The ISA should work best. If it doesn't work I'm selling the OEM ipod dock. It's only a CD changer emulator so it only allows control of the ipod, it's not a "smart" interface.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mix button will allow you to play cd's in a random order. Because the radio does not have a SAT button, will I be able to use the ISA? From my reading, I thought that the ISA enabled the ipod to be used in place of the satellite radio feature. I'm not sure that I have that feature with my radio. How can I find out this information?

In regards to the ipod dock, is this something I would need to swap center consoles to use? My radio is 6disc in dash, so would the cd changer emulator be an option?

Jon

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, you would need the media bay center console or you could just stick it in the pass side glovebox and run your CD changer wiring to the glovebox.

Good point about not having the SAT button, not sure about it.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been doing a lot of reading about required fluid change intervals, fluid specifications, etc. I am wondering if there are any discount places to buy PD oil, g12 coolant, oil filters and fuel filters. I would be interested in buying oil in bulk (up to 5 gallons).

I have contacted my local parts stores about filters, and most carry at least the oil filters. Does anybody recommend using these filters?

Some thoughts on the matter would be much obliged.

Jon

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Don't know where to buy 5 gallons but good filters are normally mahle, meyle, or mann brand. These are either OEM suppliers to VW or OEM quality and can be bought from most online vendors linked through the writeups.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I don't know about up in PA but down here (SC) I can only get the SLX oil at the dealership. No one in town stocks it but the dealer keeps it in stock (6 quart cases). The dealers price is very much in line with other synthetic oils.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chitty

I have been toying with the idea of installing an RNS510 in my 05.5 Jetta, but I'm not sure that I can. I have read your writeup on the RNS510 which I found under 05.5-06 Jetta, but I have also heard that this radio will only work if I have the white colored MFD, which I do not have.

Before I spend a grand or more on one of these radios, I would like to get all of the right information on whether I can or cannot put this radio in my 05.5 tdi with red MFD, black buttoned radio with in dash 6cd changer and no satellite radio (MIX button where SAT button would be). Any information from you, or from any other members, will be greatly appreciated!

Jon

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Where did you read that the radio would only work with the white MFD? The writeup shows a red MFD. Every RNS510 before 2012+ models should work. After 2012 they changed the map and interface slightly of the RNS510 so I don't know if it can be coded out or not. It's may still be possible to use a 2012+ RNS510 on an early mk5.

See this :http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/rcd510-rns510-swap-vw.htm

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard from a volkswagen sales rep in my area that I would need a white MFD to use the RNS510. My issue now is finding a decent RNS510 with the secret access code for a decent price. If you or anybody else knows where to find one, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I assure you you don't. You don't even need the white MFD to use the newer RNS315 but the info won't show up on the MFD. W/RN510 info shows up on both red and white MFD as long as it's coded correctly.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chitty,

Just today I noticed an issue with my rear drivers side door; the door sounds like it locks and unlocks with the buttons inside or on the key fob, but when you pull the exterior handle there is nothing there (comes the whole way out and never grabs to unlatch anything). The interior handle is dual pull, and when you pull it once you can feel it grab and unlock, but when you pull it again it doesn't do anything. From inside the car it also sounds as if the latch is unlocking with the buttons.

I did a quick google search and saw that some people have had this same issue with very few DIY fixes for it (because of door panel and inner panel removal while door is shut). I also read that not too many people can jimmy the latch open from the outside. The door worked yesterday, and the child lock was never on. Have you seen this issue before? Any advice for a DIY fix?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RCD510 and MDI controller retrofit

Hey Chitty

I just picked up a RCD 510, and I am going through my options for an Ipod connection. I would like to do the MDI retrofit (no MDI in my car that I know of), but I cant find the write up on how to retrofit this. If you could direct me to that page, and part numbers for the MDI, please do so! I dont know if I'll need to update my canbus gateway, but I am going to try without at first.

Thanks

Jon

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. It looks like I can get the newer (glove box) version of the MDI on ebay for just under $200 with shipping. I have a guy at a dealer checking on the part at cost plus 10% off, but I feel as though I'll be buying the part off ebay. I will get as many pictures as I can when adding the unit.

The door just one day started opening. I hosed the latch with PB Blaster and some other lubricants, and it has been working fine ever since.

I thought you might also be interested in a waste motor oil fuel that I have been running in my TDI. I have probably run up to 40% oil, 60% diesel in the car at this point, and it seems to run normally. I just checked my mileage today with 385.2mi. on the odometer, and I added 7.1 gallons (the best mileage I've ever had). The car stinks like burning oil, but is quieter, and could possibly be achieving added efficiency because of the fuel (higher BTU?). If you are interested in seeing my processor, let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts