VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'll be taking delivery of a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI this weekend. My wife and I are replacing two cars - a 2005 Honda Odyssey and a 2008 Toyota Prius - with the one TDI. It will be our first diesel, but not our first VW; before we bought the Odyssey, we had a B5 Passat.

Last summer, we took a family vacation to Iceland and Denmark and our rental cars were diesels. Neither of them were VWs, but we both loved the feel of the diesel engines. Tooling around Denmark in the little Ford diesel, we got almost 50mpg yet never felt a lack of power when we needed it (unlike in our Prius). Back home, I immediately started lobbying for a TDI. My wife didn't need much convincing, so here I am, about to become a VW owner again.

This site has been a huge help already (Thanks!) and I hope to be around for a while. I tend to be a lurker, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions ahead.

Brad

·
Registered
278 Posts
The last Jetta (basically the Sportwagen) was about the same size as the B5 Passat. Was it a wagon? The dimensions wer really close to the JSW TDI.

Why get rid of the Prius since you have 2 drivers? Did you want to downsize the fleet or was it off lease?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last Jetta (basically the Sportwagen) was about the same size as the B5 Passat. Was it a wagon? The dimensions wer really close to the JSW TDI.
Yeah, it was a wagon. If they still sold the Passat Wagon in the US, that probably would have been our first choice (especially if it was available with a TDI). I was really impressed by the Jetta Sportwagen, though. The last time I spent much time in a Jetta, it was an A2 sedan: a great car to drive, but a little on the small side and very spartan. After driving the JSW, I can understand Volkswagen's decision not to keep both wagons in their lineup. I don't agree with it, but I can see their logic.

Why get rid of the Prius since you have 2 drivers? Did you want to downsize the fleet or was it off lease?
Just downsizing. I'm working from home now and we almost never need both cars at the same time. On those rare occasions when we do, there's a Zipcar location a few blocks away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts