VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My name is Nick and I just bought a used 2006 Jetta TDI. I plan to do several mods and upgrades to the car in the future. I'm a college student but I'm not new to the diesel world because I also have a 1996 Ford F-250 Powerstroke which I have also done several mods on. One of the first few things I plan to do to my car is upgrade the headlights and install the factory fog lights. I have already skimmed some of the FAQ postings on this site but I get confused with the many options and terminology available for this car. I have shopped on ebay a bit and I like the look of the fixtures that mimic the Audi daytime running lights with the bi-xenon projector. Has anyone on this forum had any good luck with the lights for sale on ebay or would the general concensus be to stay away from these options? As far as the HIDs go, I'd like to install retro-solutions 55W HID kit that I have used before on my other vehicles with great results. Is this possible with any of the headlight fixtures available for my car? I'd really appreciate any feedback. Look forward to hearing from you guys!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi bud, welcometomyturbodies. I don't know about the VW's but a lot of people over here in the UK are using hid kits they've bought off ebay with good success on their Seat cars which are vag's but with a Spanish twist. You can check it out at www.seatcupra.net. I imagine the fittings etc are much the same.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Don't install the HID kits in your stock halogen housings. The reflector pattern simply isn't designed for it. You could get OEM HID headlights - there's a writeup in the FAQ on how to install. You have to have a highline controller though which depends on what package your Jetta is. If you're not sure which package it is, check out the 05-06 buying guide. OEM is the most expensive though.

Aftermarket housings with projectors can house a HID KIT. Not it's not designed for it but yes it will work fine and as long as the beams are aimed properly it won't blind others. 33w HID kit will be plenty bright, IMHO. Make sure to get something in a neutral white and not blue. The high 14,000k kits are just gimmicks.

Make sure that you really want the LED strip running lights in the headlights. To each their own but I think they're a bit gimmicky.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I think it's one of those things to be honest Chitty where people like to dress up their cars a bit and give them a different look. That's why folk over here are installing hid kits rather than spending a fortune on complete units. I'm not personally bothered but I am putting on lower, sporty springs and also getting fogs to fit in the bumper and maybe a different splitter too. I also intend to get a remap at some point and do some interior work but nothing garish.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the feedback guys. Chitty, you may be right about the LED strips. I really like the Audi look that they provide but I'm not shure if the LEDs will hold up, and I dont know how bright they are. Has anyone installed these lights that may have some pics to share? I've looked on youtube but there are only a couple of videos with those lights and you cant really get a good feel for them. So far I have bought 3 55W HID kits from retrosolutions that cover their product with a true lifetime warranty. I went with the 6000K setup as those definately provide the most light output.

I saw the writeup for the OEM lights in the FAQ section. Will this writeup basically work for helping to install the aftermarket kits as well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts