VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Guessing by the wood and the gasoline, is this "how to start a fire in your backyard"? What do I win!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, no.
stacking some wood blocks to put the car on.
i've been doing some rough calculations, and these should be able to safely hold the weight of 3 cars stacked on top of each other..obviously, its not safe to do so, but in theory it could.

first jack it up to the first level, get all 4 wheels on, then jack it up to the second level. Raises the body 8 inches higher than the tallest setting on jack stands. Also won't damage the pavement or asphalt like jack stands because it puts the weight over a wide area

Will add more details later

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uh. will let you know :)

Writeup is done

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/woodblock.htm

legal disclaimer - these plans are generic suggestions for your entertainment only, if you have any doubt as to building these or working on your car, take it to a professional mechanic. Failure to safely secure your car could result in property damage, or serious injury or death!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got another project right now, will post pics in about 1 week, but it basically looks similar to this:

except it's 2 layers so you can raise it in steps instead of 1.

there are lots of other tips here:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/auto-mechanics-tips.htm

if you know of a good tip that a novice mechanic could benefit from, make a request to add it.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
started the project so I took some pics of the blocks in action. It gives more room around the transmission so I can move around more and is rock solid so when I am rocking the car, it is very secure. It's as secure as parking it on the ground. Plus, it raised the car about 4-5" higher than jack stands otherwise, I couldn't might not be able to remove the transmission from under the car since the car is too low.

After the first layer, I had to put wood planks under the jack stands to get it up that high....just make sure if you are doing this, that the jack stand isn't sliding forward or to the side, otherwise the car will come crashing down.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made some major updates to the article. Also changed the links above since the URL has since changed.

Added some more disclaimers and clarified how much weight they can support. Each block could support a full size SUV, times 4 blocks they are sufficiently overbuilt for my needs. Of course, make sure to customize them to the vehicle that they will be used on and to your usage. Also added this pic to the mechanics' tips. Learn from other's mistakes. Not my pic but I wanted others to see it. That oil pan could be your head. Complacency = injury.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Made some major updates to the article. Also changed the links above since the URL has since changed.

Added some more disclaimers and clarified how much weight they can support. Each block could support a full size SUV, times 4 blocks they are sufficiently overbuilt for my needs. Of course, make sure to customize them to the vehicle that they will be used on and to your usage. Also added this pic to the mechanics' tips. Learn from other's mistakes. Not my pic but I wanted others to see it. That oil pan could be your head. Complacency = injury.

OMG! jaw drops

Dude is lucky if there were no injuries! That was just slipping?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
It looks like the jack slipped because you can see a skid mark. Maybe they were trying to raise the other side and it got imbalanced?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good guess. IIRC, he put one side on jacks and raised the other side, causing the whole thing to come crashing down and sent the jack through a non structural part of the floor. Some hammering and welding and it'll be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts