VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have just acquired my first car, a second hand 2015 MK VII Golf Bluemotion / 2.0 TDI / 150 bhp / DSG6 gearbox /~17K miles. And I am loving it .. so far :-D
Had my first DIY session yesterday : air filter + the fuel filter and it went smoothly, and soon I will be doing and oil change and I can't figure out what oil to put in, the manual only states that diesels with DPF require VW 507.00 oils. I looked online and the most common oils that meet this VW norm have a viscosity rating of 5W30 but my concern is that won't be enough protection considering that temperature can go up to 113°F (45°C) here in Algeria. Should I use a 5W40 that meets VW 507 00 instead? Won't that be a source for problems in the future since Bluemotion line engines are poised for fuel economy and low friction is probably a big part of that?
Sorry I didn't take many or good pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

When I did my yearly service last year, I always use parts from my dealer. I asked for 5ltr of 5W/30 which I've always used before. They said there is a new spec they now recommend 5W/40.

5W/40 Quantum Platinum 5 litre - ZGB 115 QLB 00 521 - £39

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Yes mine has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and I've always use 5W/30 but has I've said that's the new spec.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes mine has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and I've always use 5W/30 but has I've said that's the new spec.
I once saw a post comparing 5w30 to 5w40. I dunno which one it was but the gist was 5w40 gave more engine protection whereas 5w30 gave better fuel economy. Are there any 5w40 507.00 spec oils out there that you recommed?

Reactions: Jonathan Alumbaugh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone, I have just acquired my first car, a second hand 2015 MK VII Golf Bluemotion / 2.0 TDI / 150 bhp / DSG6 gearbox /~17K miles. And I am loving it .. so far :-D
Had my first DIY session yesterday : air filter + the fuel filter and it went smoothly, and soon I will be doing and oil change and I can't figure out what oil to put in, the manual only states that diesels with DPF require VW 507.00 oils. I looked online and the most common oils that meet this VW norm have a viscosity rating of 5W30 but my concern is that won't be enough protection considering that temperature can go up to 113°F (45°C) here in Algeria. Should I use a 5W40 that meets VW 507 00 instead? Won't that be a source for problems in the future since Bluemotion line engines are poised for fuel economy and low friction is probably a big part of that?
Sorry I didn't take many or good pictures.
Did you have to use VCDS? I swapped my fuel filter shortly after i bought mine but I did a "dry swap" without knowing you weren't supposed to do that. The mechanic i talked to said all you really need ti di was top the canister off with injector cleaner but other people say you have to use VCDS to prime the fuel system after you change the filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should I use a 5W40 that meets VW 507 00 instead?
Yes.! with those hot temperatures absolutley if You look in your owners manual it will give you a viscosity rating for the temperatures in your area to safely use in your engine.Nice pics! (y)

Reactions: Jonathan Alumbaugh

·
Registered
15 Posts
The mechanic i talked to said all you really need ti di was top the canister off with injector cleaner
when i changed my diesel filter i Just filled the canister up with fresh diesel & of course inspected the canister for any metal shavings at the bottom if you find that Your pump is on its way out. but all was good on mine filled up canister tightened down all torx's in a criss cross fashion hand tight. & started right up and ran fine. No need for VCD software as long as you fill the canister and put back everything exactjy the way you found it you wont have any issues.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
No need for VCD software as long as you fill the canister and put back everything exactjy the way you found it you wont have any issues.
There are a lot of conflicting thread that say you don't need VAG-COM\VCDS when changing the fuel filter a TDI Wiki still isn't available after all these years under new ownership..

If you don't prime the fuel filter properly if could damage the HPFP which is very expensive to replace.

My GTD Fuel Filter Change

As for the correct oil spec read my post above?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only way fuel pump gets damage is if its sucking Air and one cranks & cranks continueslly in that case Yes, it will damage on mine i just toped off the canister with diesel. put the top back on and it fired right up on 1st start no prob. (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts