VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning fellow dieselers. New job and commute pushed me into the diesel market once again. Picked up a 2002 Golf with 202K on it for a great price, great condition. Seller said he did not have the timing belt changed yet. There was definitely a communication barrier and did find some other stuff was miscommunicated. Obviously this is one of my top priorities to get fixed up if it hasnt been done, its way over due. I'll be following the guide on the site. Any tips/suggestions are welcome. Im not a mechanic myself, but my father inlaw does hobby restorations/rebuilds for about 45 years now so i'll be relying on his skills. The guide does look fairly cumbersome to me, but to an experienced mechanic, not sure how hard it actually is.

If anyone in the south-western ontario region has good experience with this and wants to take this task off my hands for some cash. Let me know.

Thanks.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's not too hard but don't skip any steps or try to not at least use equivalent substitutes for the timing belt tools. It should be easy for him as long as he reads the instructions first to the point of understanding them.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Punker, glad to see I'm not the only newbie. I'm currently in the process of piecing my TDI Bora back together after a blown head gasket, head removal, pressure (crack) testing and skim job. I'm also not a mechanic but I've had a little help from a friend which made the job much easier with 4 hands instead of 2.

Not sure if your timing belt is the same as mine (the AJM engine).. but thought I;d share just in case..

Anyways, my post is to give a little tip for the timing belt removal/replacing. The tensioner is held in situ by a hydraulic push rod which is a pain if you don't have the right VW tool to hold it in place when pressured down to slacken the tension. I didnt have this tool but with a little ingenuity and lots of stress building attempts to fit the belt without moving this rod I decided to improvise. If you can get your hands on a 6mm open ended spanner and an angle grinder you can manufacture the tool by grinding off the sides of the open end and slimming the overall width/breadth of the small spanner to allow it to pass through the small slot of the timing-belt case.. and it will slot into the groove of the tensioner rod when perfected, making the job actually possible without the VW tool.

The whole process takes 5-10 minutes and saved a little cash and a trip to the local VW Parts store, not to mention the stress and frustration of battling with the belt.

Good luck with the job at hand though, it isnt uber-difficult, just more of a pain in some areas with the lack of space for tools and the engine mounting getting in the way.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts

I'm new in this forum. I have 2006 Jetta TDI and I'm getting ready to do my timing belt replacement. The reason for this post is to have one post and be able to access the exclusive content forum.
Thanks to everybody who provide excellent information in this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts