VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I am Jeff and I live in NC. Just bought my first TDI, although this is my second VW, had an 88 GTI 16V a long time ago. Anyway, bought my neighbors one owner 04 (PD) Jetta. It has 110K miles and is in excellent condition. Services where always performed on time and the car was maintained with lots of TLC.

What brought me to this forum is the "How to Section". Unfortunately I have a water leak that is coming from the front of the engine, timing belt cover. My Jetta has recently had the timing belt change. Unfortunately, I do not know if the water pump was changed as part of that service. I can’t ask the previous owner as he is out of the country for a few months. Given I now have a water leak presenting itself from timing belt cover, I'll take bets it is the water pump and that it was not changed with the belt… aggravating to say the least. I am pretty good with most anything that has an engine or a motor so I will this myself.

I DO NOT have the special timing belt tools. I can and I enjoy making special, one or two time use, tools, so this is will OK too. I still have two or three tools I made for my 88 16V. Did see somewhere (did not save to link) on the internet how to make your own tools. Would appreciate a recommended link(s) to making your timing belt tools for my 04 1.9 PD.

Thanks and I look forward to being a member and an active contributor to this forum.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi bud,welcometomyturbodies. Bummer about the water pump but I like the idea of making your own tools. If I find it I'll post a link.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There are instructions on how to make your own tools for 98-03 engine but not the PD engine. The pin can be substituted with something else but I don't see how it's possible to duplicate the crankshaft lock without molding it. I can rent the tools upon request, send me a PM if interested.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and purchased the crankshaft lock tool, $31. I used a drill bit for the camshaft pin. I have the engine down now and I find it VERY hard to believe the belt was changed 10k ago. I have no doubt the people I purchased it from thought they had the belt changed. No question in my mind as they are GREAT people. I think the mechanic hoodwinked them. Timing belt has heavy wear marks where the end of the water pump pulley rides and the lettering is barely readable. The idler pulley, if I give it a spin you get a nice loud zing, dry bearings. The tensioner is dry as well, but not as bad as the idler. Lots of dust from belt wear all over the place. Water pump, I can literally wiggle the pulley in the pump housing. All this wear in "10K"???
:BS

A question for you. The intake hose where it connects to the turbo. This connection appears to be different than the other connections. The connection to the turbo is loose. It looks like it COULD BE a flex joint allowing for engine movement. Bottom line: Should this joint be as tight as the other intake connections? Is this connection a "flex" joint?

Thanks for the tip on sourcing the parts. I purchased a timing belt kit that has everything... nuts, bolts, belts, idler, tensioner, water pump... all for $235 from World Impex. A water pump alone at my local auto parts is $83.

Now I know what has and has not been changed. I'm ready to ride another 100K.

THX, Jeff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like you avoided a disaster...do you have a receipt from the timing belt change? Maybe the PO was confused and really changed the serpentine belt?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Good catch. Definitely not 10k.

Does the intake hose have quick clip connectors like at the intake manifold or is it a spring clamp connector? Sometimes the quick clip connectors can wear down and cause the hose to slowly get loose and pop off.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robotek: That could be the case. The serpentine looks reasonably new... No receipt but no matter, although it would be nice to know for sure what had been done. It is mine now AND it is fixed NOW. Thank goodness the water pump went bad or I would have been driving along fat and happy thinking the belt was good then "bang". There IS a silver lining around every cloud, sometimes we miss it. Like the forest and the trees. :)

chittychittybangbang: I'll check it out this evening. Did not get through with the reassembly yesterday as my son came to visit. That does not happen often, spent some quality time with him.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts