VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the keyless entry faq. Thinking about getting an extra key, and generally curious about VW keyless design and immobiliation. Anyway looks like my 2011 has a different fob than what is shown in the faq for MK5/6. My fob looks the same at first glance, but does not pull apart into separate pieces. It is not laterally split, but is split lenthwise. There is a separate cover for the battery. I attempted gingerly to disassemble the fob further but it was not cooperative, so I let it be; lest I do something unadvised.

My build is 2/11. So is there a new fob design? If so, any details on getting inside?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, it's a little bit different. No, but feel free to take pictures to show what you're talking about. I haven't had a change to take one apart yet. I haven't taken apart a kessy key either.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I referred to the parts manual, it shows the new key as 1 piece with what I believe to be a replacement VW symbol.

My best guess is that it splits lengthwise, otherwise there might be a small screw underneath the VW symbol as with past keys. Here's a pic of the new mk6 style Golf-Jetta key apart.

If you split it, can you take some more pictures of what's inside?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to remove the emblem to find a screw. But the emblem does NOT want to come off. Scratcing it up good trying. How easy was it for the other ones you mention? Also took the battery out - no screw there.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
For the ones that split in half, you really have to pull hard. I also use a screwdriver to pry it at the split.

I haven't split a mk6 key and did some searching on various sites, I haven't found anyone who has.

Also, the picture that I found could just be the front and back of the key instead of showing how it's split.

When splitting the top half of the earlier keys, I used an exacto knife to get under the emblem because they are glued in. It might be molded in in your case or removable. Not sure, but it looks like they sell replacement emblems in the parts catalog which makes me think that it comes off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you look in this pic,

you see the little tab in the middle, away from the button side? Press there and it will open, even with your finger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aseras, That tab is for the battery cover, per my pic above. Yes battery cover comes off rather easy; but that is it.

Chitty, So you think I should take a chance and destroy the emblem since its possible to replace?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'm 80% sure that the VW emblem is replaceable. If so, you'd be the first to take it off as far as I know.

Here's what I see in the parts catalog, it's not to scale and I don't see where else this VW symbol would go so I'm pretty sure that it's the part. You could order one from the dealer first and if it's correct, destroy the emblem to get it off. If it's not correct you could return it.

The "as required use AMV...." note next to the part number means that you also have to use some kind of VW fluid, my guess without knowing that part number is that it's a glue to hold the button in place.

The wholesale dealer price for the button is $2.30.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Went for it. Trashed/removed the emblem and voila... Nothing.:dunno
You notice the emblem surface itself is separate. Tried removing that but it was not cooperative.

Plot thickens...
000_0715.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks great tip for repalcing the battery.
I wrestled with it and couldn't open it because of arthritis in my hands
the tab thing makes it easy.
I have seen VW emblems for the key fob on Ebay, fobs too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Popped mine open. On the side where the panic button is there are two indentations beside the panic button. Using a small flathead screwdriver and a plastic seperating tool on the middle tab opens it right up.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Popped mine open. On the side where the panic button is there are two indentations beside the panic button. Using a small flathead screwdriver and a plastic seperating tool on the middle tab opens it right up.
Do you have large pics showing the insides? I can add it to the FAQ since this is new.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That video just shows how to remove the battery in an older key. He's talking about splitting the key case open to look at the insides.

The new keys are different, the old keys could just be pulled in half lengthwise. Keith, your key should also be the new 2010 type key which has no split there.

·
Super Moderator
9,395 Posts
Marc_TDI was saying a great tip for replacing the battery.

My key has a split as shown in the video.
There are loads of videos on YouTube.
As I said there are loads of videos on YouTube do a search.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes - Pics please. I see those indentations, but man, its not yielding for me. Feels like the plastic is going to shatter first.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts