VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any new information on whether the new keyless remotes for >= 2010 Golf TDI can be disassembled beyond removing the battery cover?

I'm afraid I've taken mine in swimming and it's no longer functioning correctly. I'd like to disassemble and dry off the interior. But short of destroying the case I can't figure out how to open it.

This is what it looks like with the battery cover removed:
key1.JPG key2.JPG

Here are pics from each edge:
key3.JPG key4.JPG

I was able (with some mangling) to pry open the end:
key5.JPG

But I'm afraid to pry any harder at the middle until I know whether they can come apart. BTW there is no screw underneath the VW emblem. It's just a stick-on with a flat surface underneath.
key6.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/new-mk6-key-fob-6941/ Here is the progress from the last thread on this...still don't know. Since it's non functional, if you decide to split it or cut it open, could you take big pictures detailing the insides like where the immobilizer chip is, any clips that hold the halves together, etc? It would finally answer this question.

If there's some trick to splitting the key, you could transplant the metal blade and immobilizer chip to the new key to make it work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Chitty. I used a number of alternate methods, including a "can-o-air" to blow out moisture, centrifugal force: swinging the fob around in a circle until my hand hurt from engorgement with blood, rapping the fob against a white cloth until no more rusty water droplets came out, and finally, draping the key fob in front of a fan in an air-conditioned room for a couple of hours opened up as much as I could get it.

After all of this, and replacing the battery with a nice fresh CR2032 it worked again. So, unfortunately, I'm not going to split it after all. I might do it if I ever find the duplicate that I lost a few months ago, but since it's my only convenient entry to the car: not now.

I'm going to look for the spare over the next couple of days. If I can find it, I'll gladly take a chance at splitting the other one forcibly for the benefit of the learning and I'll post photos.

Thanks again,

Terry

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Any idea what the two exposed metal "pins" are on the key in the photo? (Exposed when you switch open the key blade.)

The one near the key ring looks like part of that key ring, but the one closest to the key blade hinge looks like a reset button. My inner child wants to press that "reset" button, but experience says "tuh not tuh," lest I screw something up.

I recently bought two earlier model keys that I had hoped would be (and was told would be) useful for my 2011 JSW. The JSW has a key like the one partially disassembled here. I played around with my JSW key, but I wasn't willing to pry it apart with the tools I had on hand, though I put enough force on the key to see where it would split apart on its horizontal axis. (Split apart, there will be a top half and a bottom half.) I expect I'll see a glass RFID "pill" when the key is opened, but you never know...

The keys I purchased are the (slightly) earlier vertical axis split-apart models with the remote functions in the back half and the anti-theft features in the forward (key blade) half.

The anti-theft feature is based on an RFID sensor that apparently has a ROM (write once read many) chip embedded. The whole RFID circuit is glass encased and sits inside the key assembly. I don't know anything more about the RFID on either the keys for my JSW nor for the ones I bought. (I think the JSW has a version 5 keyset and that the other keys are version 4.)

Both versions of the keys have three functions:

mechanical locking/unlocking (Nickel coated Brass key blade OEM by Huf!)

Anti-theft (RFID circuit)

Convenience (Radio Frequency Transmitter for door locks, window activation, etc.)

If I have this right and the RFIDs are ROMS and not EPROMS (rewritable) and that you can't buy the RFIDs, then used keys are only of limited appeal. A used key requires a blade swap and an RFID swap to be of full utility on another car. What that means is that used keys are probably a good replacement for a key that has cosmetic or water damage and when the original key is available to provide at least the RFID and, if at all possible, the key blade.

At this point, I think the best solution for fully functional extra keys for newer VWs is through a dealer, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You can buy replacement aftermarket RFID, search for megamos. I don't know which model chip is used for what key though. Yes, used keys can be salvaged for parts.

Because the newer chips (2007+) use encryption, right now the cheapest way to get a new key is to buy a cut key online and have the dealer program it. It really only takes 5 minutes so I think 1/2 hour charge is fair but most seem to charge 1 hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts