VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking on the forum for a while, picking up very useful information, I'm finally able to post, having picked up a new Golf TDI today. I was able to locate a silver, 4 door, with Navigation, Bluetooth, Dynaudio, Xenon lights and DSG. I normally prefer a manual, but was taken with the DSG, which, I find, is ideally suited to the diesel. I admit to being a member of the high HP club, but wanted a TDI because its high time to reduce consumption!

The car has a quality feel, is a blast to drive and has plenty of power for daily driving. I'm looking forward to being a contributor to the forum as I become familiar with the car.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Congrats! You really loaded the thing up huh? I was just reading a review of the Golf 2.5 vs. the Mazda 3 (it's 50% of Mazda's sales) and a Kia. The Golf's feel and build quality is leagues above the other cars. The Mazdaspeed 3 (the turbo one) has a lot more power than the Golf GTI but the GTI consistently wins in comparison tests - that should tell you something too.

Could you post a picture of the relay box with the cover off? Something like this - I believe they changed the position of the relays on the 2010s.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow, what a nice car! It just goes to show that even if you're used to high HP, 140 HP is surprisingly driveable with all that torque.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I saw the same review chitty in Car & Driver. GTI vs MazdaSpeed3 vs something else...

They put the MazdaSpeed3 on top for the performance at that price point, but said the GTI still had the nicer drive because of the interior.

Back on topic... welcome A8540TDI!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome! I will try to post a picture of the relay box tonight after work.

Having driven a variety of Golf competitors like the Mazda 3, Honda Civic and Corolla, even the more up-market Volvo C30, I can agree that the new Golf TDI has a solid feeling that is just missing from the others. Although the 140 HP sounds low, most of the competition requires high revs to produce torque and power. The strength of the TDI is that it delivers effortless acceleration without thrashing the engine to 7000 RPM.

I know my car is loaded up, but, it was available and I had to make some concession to having been spoiled by years of driving so called "luxury" cars! I had considered getting a BMW 335d but, to me, the Golf is 95% of the car at 55% of the cost and does not have run flat tires or iDrive! Case closed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the large picture in my last post, got the resolution wrong. Here is an attempt with a picture of the car.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Nice Golf. It is a twin of mine :thumbsup Love those Xenon headlights, best $700 ever. Agree with you on the DSG, I love it as well. Not sure why people rag on it so much. Tiptronic helps a lot on breakin. It is definitely a solid feeling car. After breakin I got it up to 110 on a nice stretch of road and it was totally solid.

No problem. Any pics of the front of the relay box where the big red wires attach? Thanks for any help.
What do you need this for chitty?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts