VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on a blog that the Passat will no longer be sold for 2011 but I would bet the NMS will be called the Passat...and VW confirmed they are putting a TDI in it!

http://tdi.vw.com/vw-training-ramps-up-in-city/

We’ve been hearing some exciting updates surrounding Volkswagen’s ventures in Chattanooga lately, so we thought we’d share the good news. In case you haven’t heard, VW’s planned $1 billion “campus†in Chattanooga will contain the main assembly plant for the VW “New Midsize Sedan,†scheduled to begin production early next year, and available in a, yes, you guessed it, TDI Clean Diesel version.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I am somewhat wary of first year cars. My feeling is that they are either great or horrible (this is probably not statistically true though). Either that or you'll get lots of features that will be decontented in later years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not surprised the Passat ended early. I used to see new Passats all the time but this last body style doesn't seem to have sold that well. hence the newer bigger, cheaper replacement...

·
Registered
9 Posts
A bigger, heavier Passatt with the same 140hp TDI will be, well, bigger, heavier, and slower...probably with <mpg. Not anything I'm looking forward to.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It will be bigger, heavier, and slower but I am happy with the b5 vs. the b4, even after the balance shaft fix. The car is much more refined but the mpg isn't there. I would get the next Jetta or Golf over a Passat sedan but I'd consider the wagon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
x2 what chitty said. This bodes well for the wagon. My wife would have bought a new Passat wagon to replace her '03 but VW in its infinite wisdom stopped selling standards and she hates automatics.

I love my JSW, but a little more room would be welcome if it doesn't hurt the mileage too much.

-dan

·
Registered
135 Posts
OMG!!!! Now VW is jumping on the "let's build are cars bigger" kick! Fudge!!!!!

Maybe next their cars will start looking like those Hondas, Toyotas and Lexus'

:eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if it means anything but the wikipedia page on the NMS says the passat wagon won't show up because it's too close in size to the sportwagen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts