VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined and have a question. I had a timing belt break on a 2003 jetta tdi. I found a great diy on changing the belt on this website. I had a question about removing the engine mount and raising the engine 1/4 inch. Is this nesessary.
thank-you,
Joel

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It's probably to give yourself more room down the side, I'm not familiar with the jetta but most of them are fairly tight to get your hands in.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If your timing belt broke you will most likely need to remove the head for inspection. The valves go straight up-down so they may not bend and change compression. See the head replacement article.

Not 100% necessary to remove the motor mount but it does free up some room. If not, work around it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I took the head off and it looked ok to me. but, just to be safe I took it into a machine shop. they took it all apart, cam and lifters, did a leak check and said everything looks ok. doesn't seem to have hit. I measured all the pistons, and they all seem to be at the same height, no bent rods. anything else I should check before I start putting it back together.
thanks,
Joel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts