VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My name is Dean and I am a diesel-a-holic. (murmering in background...Hello Dean)

I've got a 2006 Dodge Ram diesel that has eighty one thousand miles on it so far, and still has the original tires on it...nothing but routine maintance and 17-22 mpg.

I selected the 2006 model in order to avoid the additional smog stuff that was mandated on the 2007 models. Am I correct in assuming that reasoning holds true for the Jetta TDI?

My wife drives a 99 Durango, and she is getting the itch for something that gets a little better milage. So I'm thinking about selling the Durango along with a restored 85 Suzuki Samuri, my bass boat and paying cash for an economical car for her.

I've been looking at some 2005, 2006, Jetta TDI's, but the eighty thousand mile timing belt replacement schedule kinda has me spooked.

Now I'm wondering if I should buy something with a small gas motor, but like I said...I like diesel's.

I know the search feature is my friend, but comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Dean

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
All you have to do is take the cost of the timing belt and possible camshaft into consideration when pricing, they're fairly easy to work on though. Have a look in the faq for the buying guide.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Luckily for you, you don't have to worry about the MY 2007 since there were none in North America! The Jetta came back for 2009 with a completely different engine.

Take a look through the 2005-2006 buying guide., lots of stuff to look over there. The timing belt replacement is under $400 every 80,000 miles if you DIY so that's hardly a reason to avoid the TDI. Worn camshafts and flywheels are a bigger and more expensive problem. I own one and it's my favorite Jetta yet but I bought a package 2 (loaded). The 2005.5 model has a bunch of stuff that wasn't available for 2006 and can be more desirable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess if you can replace the timing belt for around four hundred bucks thats not all that bad.

Now she says she wants all wheel drive! So i guess It's back to the drawing board, for now at least.

Dean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts