VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm John. I live near Frederick, MD. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. I have 183,000 miles.

I lost my clutch at 74,000 miles. Replaced with Sach SMF kit. Timing belt change at 100,000, didn't know at the time to check camshaft. Started feeling slight vibrations at different speeds around 165,000 miles. Noticed gear oil leaking around 170,000. Found differential bearing to be shot. Replaced whole manual transmission.

Now I have a thumping noise. I have removed the value cover and found ware on cylinder #2. Web searches have brought me to this website for tips on replacing the camshaft and lifters. It looks like IDparts has a pretty good deal on the camshaft kit. Any pointers and tips would be greatly appreciated. Any other sources for camshaft kit? Anything else I might need, that is not included in the kit?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There are a few links in there that should be to other vendors who sell this part. You do need the 2 special VW tools to pull the camshaft pulley unless you can make a substitute for them. I rent them upon request if you don't feel like making-buying them, send a PM if interested.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
New member off spring

Hi, new member here referred by Jsauve. Looks like you have a great forum and lots of information here.
I have a Passat TDI with BEW, so I am going to have to do a balance shaft and possibly a cam sometime.
Also have a 01 Jetta TDI (on loan to someone with a sick BRM), a 99 E300, and two (his and hers) Jeep Liberty CRD's.
I like the smell of diesel exhaust!

I'll also be helping jsauve replace his cam.
Great site, keep it good, keep it technical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts