VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,i am a new member currently have a 2001 jetta trouble free with 220,000 miles also have a 2006 that needs a cam shaft replaced at a 120,000 miles,I am going to try to do this my self since the dealer quoted me 1950.00 dollars any tips would be greatly appreciated going to look in the diy section and see what i can find.Ray

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! There isn't an article on camshaft replacement for the 2001 in the FAQ but there's one for the 2006. The engine is different but if you don't have any idea what is involved, it's a start.

The difference is that your engine doesn't have cam bearings or require special counterholding tools aside from what's required for the timing belt. If your timing belt is due in the near future it's worth changing now, if not, you still have to completely reset its position as seen in timing belt ALH engine part 2, but you don't have to remove the engine mount since you're not completely removing it, just removing it enough to reset its position.

Luckily, the 2001 camshaft is also fairly cheap, much less than what you were quoted. The 2006 is much more expensive. Some places you can buy parts: the sponsor kermatdi.com

idparts.com, boraparts.com, worldimpex.com, or metalmanparts.com also sell quality oem-level parts. Some of the items come out of the same factory as the OEM VW parts so don't worry about buying from these guys. Don't buy from an unnamed spammy looking site that sells suspiciously super cheap parts, they are low quality junk.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts