VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2011 Sportwagen last week here in Vermont. It is replacing a 2000 Saab Aero wagon that I drove to Colorado Rockies and gave to my son (165K).

I purchased a home in Maryland in September, and shipped my 2004 Honda Element and 1974 Porsche 914 from Hawaii (sold my home there to buy in Maryland to be near family).

Was going to use the low mileage Element as my primary commuting vehicle between Maryland and vacation condo in Vermont (New England lifers until retirement), but found it not to be a great highway vehicle for the 600 mile one-way drive.

Also plan to spend a month each year in Florida, so started looking for something a little more highway friendly, with cargo space a must.

Was all set to buy a Subaru Outback, until my research led me to the SportWagen.

I'm thrilled with it.

I've never had a VW before (well, other than the 914: which I inherited from my father-in-law), but have had tons of Hondas, BMWs: 328i, 328ic & M3, Infiniti G35 coupe, and still have a '98 BMW 318ti & '68 Porsche 911.

So, I'm not car illiterate.

But Diesel is a new experience for me; I had rented an Audi A4 diesel in Germany and liked it, so I wasn't afraid to take this plunge.

Have to say that the Sportwagen is a surprising car in handling and response. Solid, agile, great steering response, etc. and peppy enough (236 ft/lbs. @ 1750) for my needs. Build quality is impressive, and the interior is at least the equal to the BMWs, leather or not.

Look forward to many years of pleasure.

Marc

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Nice intro! Is the 914 have the 4 cylinder? They are pretty rare to see now. I've had 2 944s and a 928.

I'd say the car is more than peppy, they're downright fast for a daily driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Intro

Yes, the 914 is the 4-cylinder, 1.8 liter. My father-in-law bought it new and drove it until he retired, in '86. It has only 72K miles on it, and is in original great condition.

I'm still breaking in the Sportwagen, so haven't really pushed it to really see the ultimate performance of it. I guess I was just comparing it to the M3 and Saab Aero which both had the same torque, but 100 more HP. That Aero turbo really responded when you hit the pedal. Even during my last trip in it to the Rockies, even with 165K, it was incredible climbing the mountains from Denver to Breckenridge.

Driving from Central Vermont to Southern Maryland tomorrow, so will sure learn more about the TDI's capabilities.

Marc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts