VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking forward to any and as much TDI discussions as possible, I have a 2013 MkVI Sportwagen and its gone through the "dieselgate" mods but I really love the car and want to keep it running until the body falls off, i.e. several hundred thousand of miles. It's pretty much still in brand new condition, I keep the maintenance up on it, I've only ran VW507.00 oil in it, actually I've only ever used Castrol Edge in it as its manf recommended. I have kept the fuel filter changed every 20k and I did the DSG gear oil change at 80k (I don't recall the dealer doing it, so I just decided to do it, last year). I have 92k on it now and I'm starting to think about the timing belt and the components - and I see a lot of timing belt kits on the market, looking for a recommendation for the best option. Also, I am wondering about the crank and cam front seals and if those should be pre-emptively changed? Do people change those even if they are dry? Also, if so how do you counterhold the motor to torque the 19mm 12-point crank bolt, manual says 120NM + 90deg. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Please be aware here. The shop that does the Dieselgate repairs is crucial to the success & longevity of your car. I have as my daily driver a 14 Jetta TDI with a manual and for the past 3 years and have had numerous issues with it. Currently with around 90,000 miles it's in for yet another heater core. This will be #3 and several flushes between. This time it also involved the EGR valve. I've had Numerous sensors go out and there is a fix for a freeze issue with the intercooler that put me in limp mode in sub zero temps. Last but not least at less than 80,000 miles the Throw out slave cyl blew a seal & I had No clutch. That required the whole drivetrain out to replace. Aside from the clutch all of these issues have to deal with sitting unused for long periods the shop that did the dieselgate repairs and with the heater core an Ongoing Manufacturing Defect. As I figure it VW has as much into this POS as I paid for it. And since I have no confidence that this current fix will be the end of the downward spiral I am going to look for a Worthy proven, reliable & possibly Domestic replacement. You could say that I am Angry about this continuously irritating Trash can of a car but that only scratches the surface. On another note the Dealer that has been doing all but the first 2 of the 7-8 repairs has been Remarkable Honest and Outstanding to work with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow I'm sorry to hear about all the issues you are having - yeah I've had my share of POSs but I can say with confidence that my Jetta has been solid, for 8 years, and I'll admit Its low mileage for a '13 Mk6 and that is because I don't drive it in the salt and I also have other cars I have - so it doesn't get used daily. I have done a clutch slave cylinder and seal before, i can relate. I'm not familiar with needing to flush the core though, sounds like G13 coolant was contaminated with cheap non VW/Audi coolant. Maybe that shop was responsible for that? I would love to find a TDI with a 5 speed manual, wow those are rare, I had a 2005 Mk4 TDI 5speed, it was my fav car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you. I am sure that there are Many with Nothing but praise for these cars & VW in general. All I can say here is that My Only experience with this car has been far less than acceptable. I did SO much research on these cars & also recommended by friends & relatives who had nothing but good luck. As I stated the shop that does the Dieselgate repairs is critical. That is where I am putting the blame for the numerous sensors & other emission related failures. I also do think the coolant was contaminated causing it to gel or crystalize. But I also believe that the core's in the 2013 & 2014 cars had a design flaw. I've been reading about the tiny capillary tubes & a flux issue when they were being built.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts