VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have an 03 Golf with 89k miles. I joined to finish looking over the 1000q so I can prepare for my timing belt job. I have a friend with an 03 Jetta who has a "cold" start problem. It's been mid 40s here and his car cranks a long time before starting. No MILs, I'm going to scan it with VCDS to see if anything is stored, I'm hoping the solution is relatively simple, like a sticky anti-shudder valve.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you check the GP codes? Also check the TB timing under basic settings in engine.
No I haven't scanned it yet. I know the timing has an acceptable range, is there a specific minimum or maximum that it needs to fall within in order to be considered acceptable. Does it need to be checked at a specific temperature?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look through part 2 of the timing belt article for the graphs. It's all in VCDS. The engine must be warm.
I checked using the "TDI Timing" button/plugin. The timing is 18 at 105C and VCDS says "Timing out of spec (too retarded)"

Now I'm investigating the details of adjusting the pump timing. Do you have to remove the upper IC pipe to get the upper timing belt cover off without breaking anything or is there a way to do it without disturbing the hose connections?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Remove that rubber elbow to remove the timing belt cover. You won't break anything. The plastic hoses's lower clamp is often positioned facing down which makes it impossible to remove. The placement is hard to get to unless you have remote operated spring clamp pliers so you can just move it out of the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts