VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Connecticut. Woke up this morning and tried to start my 2003 1.8T Jetta and every time after turning the key the engine would shut off after turning over (1-2secs). It beeps 6 times and the immobilizer symbol stays on blinking. Tried the suggestion to hook it up to another car for 20+ minutes while key is in the on position to reset the immobilizer but that didn't work. Looking for any alternatives before taking it to the dealership.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
When it randomly appears it randomly goes away. You need some tools to reset the immobilizer so if you can't wait a few days for them to get to you, the dealer is the only alternative. Have you tried disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brakes to discharge any stored electricity? Try wiggling the ignition cylinder key, maybe the antenna is loose?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep, that is 100% the immobilizer. If you need to use the car now, try the troubleshooting steps listed in the article, otherwise take it to the dealer. Some people have had the immobilizer go away by itself after a few hours. I have no clue why or how it could become activated by itself but it happens.

There is no easy way to disable or bypass the immobilizer, otherwise it wouldn't be a very good anti-theft device.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I had to get it towed to the dealer. They had to replace to instrument cluster and reprogram the keys :eek

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
If their diagnosis was correct, the instrument cluster was bad and they had to reprogram the keys because once you replace the instrument cluster the keys have to be re-synced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts