VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new member and just wanted to introduce myself. I have a 2006 tdi Jetta that I purchased new and maintained personally. I have changed oil every 5,000 miles with the correct oil and after I made it to 140,000 mile mark I thought I had dodged the camshaft problems so many have had. This week though I have the usual symptoms indicating a worn camshaft, after inspecting the cam, sure enough two lobes show visible wear.
I want to thank everyone for this forum as it has provided enough info that I feel capable of tackling the job at home. I will order parts soon and in a few days I should tear into the job. I will keep everyone posted as to my progress.

PS: Until 161,000 miles my car has been very reliable and a joy to drive. It has the original front brake pads and still feels new.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The original front brake pads at 160,000 miles? But a lot of dents in the front from using other motorists cars to slow down:D

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, the front brakes on VW last a very long time, especially under light braking. The rears seem to always wear out first under light braking. I believe it's due to the anti-dive brake bias but I haven't been able to verify this in official literature.

FYI, I would use 5w-40 full syn oil for PD engines and change it every 10,000 miles. I rent the special tools if you need them, the rental page is linked from the writeup. It also makes sense to replace the timing belt since it's probably past half life and not too much more work.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I actually have bumped a bmw, fluffed the blonde drivers hair when I hit her, no damage though. She was very sweet about the whole thing.
Tool rental: I order my parts from borla with the tools for the timing belt change. Will I need something else? My timing belt has 61,000 miles, so I will replace it too, and I have the 5w-40 coming from borla, you probably are right about the 10,000 miles changes, all I ended up doing was wasting oil and money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts