VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Late 2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 5spd manual.

Over the last couple weeks , I've been noticing a loud hissing during acceleration in every gear, almost like a dump valve is stuck open, not allowing the turbo to spool, until it finally snaps shut and the car lurches forward with the increase in boost. But as soon as I move to the next gear, same scenario again. This morning, it has come to the point where it is no longer building power at all, and lots of smoke. 114k miles, all dealer maintenance, timing belt, associated rollers etc, water pump at 95k. Fuel filters on a regular basis. I've searched the site and I'm thinking VNT or VNT actuator? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It could be a bunch of stuff. My guess: sticking turbo, faulty turbo control vac lines/solenoid/wiring, or turbo actuator.

Get error codes first, autozone will give you a free scan. It could also be a big intake or exhaust leak. Look for soot in engine bay or oil spray. Also see the FAQ for limp mode troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Car shows no CEL. Do standard OBDII scanners work w/ a TDI engine? Will codes be stored even though I have no check engine light?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts