VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

My name is SmokeyPete and I am located in Central Massachusetts but work in Wellesley, MA (Near Boston).

I picked up a brand-new 2010 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Cup Edition two weeks ago.
- 6 Speed Manual
- RCD-510 Radio

Even though the ride us a bit rough, I do love the car!

Problem is that I've already hit a raised manhole cover which put a bubble in my front right 18 inch tire on my shiny Charleston stock Wheels and took $230.00 Dollars out of my Checking account. :dunno

I am seriously looking for some suggestions on what exact specs I need to put on my shopping list so I can buy some 16 or 17 inch winter wheel/tire combos to get me through the New England winter safe and in style. I do about %75 of my driving on interstate 90 (Mass Pike) so I have been enjoying about 43-45 MPG at this point. So far I have read that a 17 inch wheel 225/45 with an offset of 45-50 is a good fit. I did see a few wheels on E-Bay with an Offset of 40 which I have been told will work with a Jetta TDI but I am concerned they don't know about the differences between the Stock TDI and the Cup Edition.

Thanks and look forward to talking to you guys.

-SmokeyPete

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the suspension on the cup edition is from the GTI right? There shouldn't be any difference in what wheels fit unless there's something about the brakes or body kit that changes fitment. You could put GTI wheels on no prob.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Had the same problem with a "2004 VW R32", cost me $500.00 to replace both tires & rims... TWICE!

So for the Jetta I decide to put more rubber between the pavement and the rims. I went with the 225/50 17" tires (instead of the 225/45 17" recommended)
which raised the car about 1" and filled in the wheel-well as well.

17x8 O.Z. Alleggerita, Offset 48 mm (just 16.4lbs), 225/50ZR -17 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2...

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike,

Very nice Jetta and you have given it an interesting style. I looked at these O.Z. Alleggerita wheels on the Tirerack and they seem to be over double the price of a lot of the other wheels. I guess this is because they have "Forged" which makes them the ultimate in strength.

I however also liked a lot of the cheaper wheels which still look pretty decent. The Rial or the MSWs also looked quite sporty and cool. I also never had strength issues with the Steel wheels on my Civic DX so I am hoping I can keep this Winter wheel/tire purchase from spinning out of control from a price standpoint.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for the TDI Cup Edition, I would love to see the pictures too since I don't want my car to end up looking odd or too "Hood" or "Boy Racer" after I make the switch up.

SmokeyPete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey MacTDI (or anyone else who might know),

I do have a possibility of picking up some 17 inch Phoenix Wheels from a 2010 Volkswagen CC. Their Offset seems to be 41MM. I know I should be "decoding" that wheel offset calculator, however I have not really had the time to explore this tool nor do I have the mechanical automotive background. Do you or anyone on the board have experience using these wheels on a TDI Cup?

Much obliged.

-Pete

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
VW phoenix
Wheel diameter (in.) 17 Wheel width (in.) 7
Wheel lug pattern (mm) 5x112 Wheel centerbore (mm) 57.1
Wheel offset (mm) 37 Wheel part # 3B0 601 025M
Stock tire size 225/45-17 Center cap part # 3b0 601 149 mcw
misc notes 05-06 passat option on gls/glx weight (lbs)
misc notes similar to montreal and atlanta but 7 spokes instead of 6

·
Registered
96 Posts
What are the specs on your original wheel? Vs. the stock Jetta TDI wheels, they'll be wider by 1" outboard and be wider by .3" inboard. So they'll clear the wheel well but they might stick out a little. The stock bioline offset is 50mm.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Hi Pete... i'm glad to see you're taking your time, the biggest mistake many people make is rushing into it.

It all depends on the width of the CC rim as "shftrvr" indicated... the stock rims on the TDI Cup Edition is 18X8 where as the CC might be (and I'm guessing) 17X7 or 17X7 1/2 which might have a different offset.

Find the stock spec for both wheels and imput them into this website...

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Hope that helps.

Mike

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
What are the specs on your original wheel? Vs. the stock Jetta TDI wheels, they'll be wider by 1" outboard and be wider by .3" inboard. So they'll clear the wheel well but they might stick out a little. The stock bioline offset is 50mm.
Find the stock spec for both wheels and imput them into this website...
Mike
There's a wheel calculator on this site as well ;)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tire-wheel-gearing-calculator.htm

The phoenix wheels are 7" wide and will fit fine. They will have good inboard clearance but the fronts may stick out very slightly, probably no greater than 1cm. The rears will fit well. This is because the rear hubs are tucked in more than the fronts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice cars. A metal skid plate would help protect the underside of the engine too if the potholes are bad. If worse comes to worse, it would be covered by your car insurance but the skid plate would let you keep driving after taking a smack. I would think the GTI suspension is lower than stock too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts