VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
As requested here's my profile and the reason I came here...

Currently trying to work out how to get my Seat Toledo 1999 1.9 TDI 110 going again. Issue is as follows (with some history):
Driver's side lock jammed (which, it turned out, was due to corrosion on the lock barrel mechanism - tabs seized and broke when turned);
Resulted in central-locking engaging at will, all windows winding down;
Passenger barrel switched to driver's side successfully - windows and central locking problem appears to be fixed;
Also, brake lights would come on by themselves resulting in a flat battery;
Brake light switch replaced successfully;
Still experiencing battery problems. Auto-electrician diagnosed a dead ECU (glow-plug light had been flashing prior to this);
Reconditioned ECU fitted;
Auto-electrician reprogrammed key/ECU/whatever (not an area on which I'm knowledgeable). Car ran fine. Next day, it wouldn't run.

This has happened twice now.

Anyone have any ideas on why it would run the day that the electrician plugged in all his gear and then stop the next day? It's getting to the point where it may be time to write this car off as throwing good money after bad but after spending half a day getting a new clutch into it I'm loathe to do that. Mechanically it's sound.

Any advice gratefully received,
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Thanks for the reply.

The gist of the thread you linked seems to be that it's terminal. That about the size of it?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Don't worry about that, Keith has just had a bad experience and it's left him sceptical lol.
You should maybe go back to the guy and get him to redo the ecu, if it worked before then it should work again, did iot cost much and if so is it not under some sort of warranty? The problem with the immo is that part of it's in the ecu and the rest is in the clocks so the two go together but I have heard of people getting them disabled.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is our long-standing workhorse car, "Weasel the Diesel", so no warranty. I'll see what can be done about disabling the immobilizer. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts