VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi! I bought my first Diesel, a 1982 1.6, normally aspirated Jetta, in 1995 and became a "diesel head" immediately when I found I could get over 50 MPG on trips. I have since purchased two 1991/92 Ecodiesels which I used for years to do a daily 100 mile RT commute to work and then a third one for $1300 with the head missing (I currently have purchased a head and have the engine and transmission removed for engine rebuild on the third one). I've done most of my own maintenance on the first two Eco-diesels including changing the timing belt on one. I also have changed the timing belt on a friends 2001 MK4 Jetta. I plan on purchasing the 2001, when my friend buys a new TDI. The friend's 2001 is now due timing belt change again (it has 355,000 miles now) and we're going to change it again and also try to figure out why it intermittently seems to lose power somewhat. We're guessing that it could be turbo vanes sticking or turbo bearings bad and plan to troubleshoot driving with the Vagcom connected to identify the problem, whatever it is. I'm 63 years old and am guessing that between the 3 Eco-diesels and the 2001 Jetta TDI that these vehicles will accommodate me until I have to turn my drivers license in due to old age!

·
Registered
278 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

FYI, at that mileage you should replace the oil pump chain and tensioner when you do the timing belt. I wouldn't be surprised if the MAF was bad or the turbo bearings somewhat worn out. The intake is probably crudded up if it's never been decarbonized.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts