VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I'm an engineer. I earn a decent income. How come I can't afford to have someone else do my timing belt?!! Is it common to pay $1000 for the privilege? My wife actually owns(ed on the '96, as it's down and the engine won't rotate) the Jetta's and I'm the owner of a diesel Jeep that I love.

Someone please let me know if this job is do-able for an engineer with wrenching ability. Thanks, and I hope to learn lots of good tips.
Thanks,
Tucson Don

·
Premium Member
11 Posts

Hi,
I'm the owner of a 01 Jetta that is in need of a new clutch:panic: Just hoping to get some advise on what to expect.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
I'm the owner of a 01 Jetta that is in need of a new clutch:panic: Just hoping to get some advise on what to expect.
If you're a new member please make you own new topic (intro) don't add it to an existing thread which is not related?

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tucson Don. welcometomyturbodies

I think you need to explain in more detail why your wife's 96 Jetta doesn't turn over? Did this happen while trying to start or was she driving and the engine stopped?

As for being an engineer then you should have sufficient knowledge to do a timing belt change yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'96 Won't Turn Over Response

Hey Keith, thanks for the welcome.
After reading the how to's, I believe I can handle this job and put the saved $700 towards her big 11th anniversary celebration of her 29th b-day!

Now, if only I can get it all together by next weekend!!! Ouchimama that's cutting it close. Problem is probably a karmic one... likely happened to the 96, and don't want it to happen again. We're pushing 102k miles on the original belt and I'm sweating this like a call girl in church! We've ordered a good kit with all parts for $230 from a link, and I'm getting all specialty tools set up with the machinist at work's help.

Now for the '96 debacle. That TDI was running well when one afternoon right before Christmas in 2008 I get a call at work that white smoke came from under the hood. Apparently a temp warning light on the dash came on 14 miles from home (very RURAL Arizona) and with baby on board, she figures she'll be able to make it. The car ended up rolling another 400 yards tops. By the time I got there with my buddy and tow strap, we get it home and as I'm starting the diagnosis, I notice: it won't start. The engine rotated about 70° give or take 20° from the starter motor input and then "whump". No more rotation. I put it in 4th gear and with the tow strap slowly pulled it backwards.

What happened next seems directly from a horror movie from my childhood where Killdozer comes alive or something. After the motor rotated backwards the 70 odd degrees, the engine started RISING UP OUT OF THE ENGINE BAY! Holy Cow! I'd never seen that before. We ended up buying the 2005 (not 2006, like I thought, but I'm confusing my diesel jeep with the jetta) over Christmas break and the old jetta is awaiting completion of a couple more urgent projects.

How's that for a short story?
Don

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Well Don at 102k without a belt change you've been pushing your luck for sometime. Is that 102k for both Jetta's or the 96?

You would need to remove the timing belt cover and see if the belt is connected if it is then do a check if its timed up correctly and not jumped a few teeth. If it has jumped then you need to figure out why its jumped?

As you will read on here its better to replace the water pump at the same time as changing the belt. The timing belt tensioner is due for replacement at 160k so you may as well change that at the same time.

As you will read on here the belts do break. What surprises me is if they read an 80k belt change people will wait until 80k is reached before they decide to have it done if at all. If these belts are prone to breaking then they should be changed between 60-70k to be on the safe side, but thats my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts